Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt Naked Spatchcock Chicken

The wife and son are not crazy about even crispy skin on the chicken so I figured I would give this a shot.  Anyone ever tried this?

Comments

• Finished Product...
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,695
    No, my SWMBO loves the crispy skin

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• LitLit Posts: 4,094
    Leave the skin then pull it off after cooking it helps to protect the meat.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,662
    Like a lit said... The skin can come off later.
    tcmue4.jpg 45.4K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Looks just fine to me, with oe without skin. 
    We do a lot of boneless skinless CB, so a skinless spatchcock is not all that different. 
    I do brine it to keep it a tad moister. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,120
    I cook chicken skinless all the time now. Its always moist and juicy if you cook to temp. I wouldn't cook with skin on and then strip the skin off, since that's a waste of rub. Haven't done a skinless spatchcock though, so would love to know how it turns out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

I cook chicken skinless all the time now. Its always moist and juicy if you cook to temp. I wouldn't cook with skin on and then strip the skin off, since that's a waste of rub. Haven't done a skinless spatchcock though, so would love to know how it turns out. 

I agree 100%

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,066
    edited September 2013

caliking said:
    Not exactly true since I eat any skin that my wife or kids removes from their chicken ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,662
    I always pull the skin back and cover with rub..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The skinless spatchcock turned out fantastic.  As far as being moist, it was no different than any I have done with the skin on.  The best part was having the rub covering the entire surface of the meat on the bird.  As mentioned above it was really no different than cooking bonless & skinless thighs.  I really like the skin myself, but I was just trying to make it a bit more appetizing for the family.  I will definately do birds this way again from time to time.
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 860
    I'm with you, @Tydfan. ;
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Much healthier I suppose. I'll give them the a shot next time since I'm supposed to be eating healthier these days.
    Dunedin, FL
  • My family is a little weird.  Those who like dark meat, want the skin on.  Those who prefer the breasts like the skin off, so that's how I cook them.  Cut the skin off the breasts but leave on the rest of the chicken.  Still cooking to temp and have had no issue with the breasts and thighs not hitting temp at the same time. 
    Portland, OR
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,066
    edited September 2013
    cfwilen said:
    My family is a little weird.  Those who like dark meat, want the skin on.  Those who prefer the breasts like the skin off, so that's how I cook them.  Cut the skin off the breasts but leave on the rest of the chicken.  Still cooking to temp and have had no issue with the breasts and thighs not hitting temp at the same time. 
    I like skin, but I have no problem with bare breasts.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.