Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Doc Says To Cut Down On Salt. Do You Have A Favorite Low Salt or Salt Free Rub?

Dizzy Pig makes a salt free version of Dizzy Dust and Raging River.  Have you tried them?  How about any tasty salt free or low salt rubs?  Store bought or recipes.  I'm trying to do the right thing and follow the doctor's direction.  

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Be glad that exam is not happening with both hands on your shoulders :)>-  Now for the salt-free rub, Penzey's makes salt-free southwestern flavored rub "Arizona Dreaming" that is quite good.  Give it a shot-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I thought that Simply Marvelous rubs were lower in salt than most rubs I had tried. Except for the Season All which is like seasoned salt. Big Poppa Smokers sells them now. Get the sampler pack- they are all good IMO.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Another vote for Arizona Dreaming! I'm not on a salt restriction diet, but I love AD as a seasoning on burgers and chicken as well. It has a twang to it, but no burn...just nice and sassy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mrs dash line of spices are great. Don't know that I'd consider them to be rubs, but the southwest chipotle is fantastic. It's the only pre-blended spice I buy.
  • _________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• @Hokie_Smoker - Have you tried these recipes?  The Mediterranean Blend and the Wowey-Zowie Blend both look interesting.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Dizzy Pig makes a good salt free Dizzy Dust.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Well...You asked...

I too agree that the Mrs. Dash seasonings are good. I have only ever used two; the Original and the Grilling Blend

OTOH, I take pride in making my own blends so that I can control salt and a lot of other crap that goes into some of the preparations.

I don't think that I have purchased any spice blends for maybe ten or more years now. Here are the Low and No salt blends in my pantry.

I have made and used them all. And they are really good.

LOW SALT BLENDS:

SPANISH TOWN <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2 T. prepared curry powder
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1 T. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 T. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder

1 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground red pepper (fine ground cayenne)

SANTA FE 3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery seed
    1 T. black pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1 t. salt    NUTTSY’S ”ALL PURPOSE” DRY RUB  1 T. garlic powder 1 T. onion powder 1 T. brown sugar 1 t. salt 1 t. black pepper 1 t. basil 1 t. paprika 1/2 t. cayenne   JB’s COCOA and CHILI RUB  1-1/2 t. crushed red pepper 1 t. Kosher salt (more or less) 1/2 t. white pepper 2 T. fresh ground coffee 1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder 1 T. brown sugar 1 T. pure Ancho chili powder     NO SALT BLENDS:   SOUTH AMERICAN 36 dried De Arbol chilies 12 dried Pasilla chilies (Seeded and broken / chopped into very fine pieces, grind if possible) 2 t. ground cinnamon 1 t. ground coriander 1/2 t. ground cumin   ORIENTAL FIVE SPICE 2 T. ground cloves 2 T. ground cinnamon 2 T. ground fennel seed 2 T. ground anise 2 T. ground Szechwan pepper (As Szechwan can be hard to come by; black pepper, white pepper or even allspice, will work)   Here is the famous Jim Goode’s BBQ Beef Rub. It can be used when low salt (or no salt) is desired. It is one of the staples in my cupboard.    JIM GOODE’S BBQ BEEF RUB
    Original recipe yield: 3 /4 C.
    2-1/2 T. dark brown sugar
    2 T. paprika
    2 t. mustard powder
    2 t. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 t. ground bay leaves
    3/4 t. ground coriander seed
    3/4 t. ground savory
    3/4 t. dried thyme
    3/4 t. ground black pepper
    3/4 t. ground white pepper
    1/8 t. ground cumin
    salt to taste (or none at all)

Notes: Even though this is “labeled” as a beef rub
    …I especially like this rub on chicken and thick cut pork chops heading for the grill.   The sugar in the rub will brown and make a "caramelized crust" when using higher cook temperatures, so be careful there.   Once you mix the spices they'll keep well for 6 months or more in an airtight jar. When ready to use, just rub into the meat, wrap in plastic or use a baggie, and refrigerate the night before grilling."   This rub also inspired a similar rub known as J J’s Rub which is exactly the same mixture, but with 1-1/2 t. of rosemary added.   MEMPHIS STYLE RUB for a LOW & SLOW  1/4 C. paprika 1 T. dark brown sugar 1 T. white sugar 1 t. celery seed 1 t. black pepper 1 t. dry mustard 1 t. onion powder 1 t. garlic powder 1 to 3 t. cayenne pepper (to taste)   Notes: This mix is great on a Pork Butt, Shoulder, Ribs (pork or beef) and   brisket.  Give a good rub down and rest, up to over night, in the fridge. Cook, indirect, over a low fire with some of your favorite smoke-wood.   OLD BAY SEASONING 1 T. Bay leaves, fine ground 2 t. celery seed 1 -1/2 t. dry mustard 1 -1/2 t. black pepper 3/4 t. nutmeg 1/2 t. ginger 1/2 t. cloves 1/2 t. paprika 1/2 t. cayenne 1/4 t. mace 1/4 t. cardamom

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I buy all of my salt-free from:

http://lantanaoftexas.com/index.html/

Especially good on pastrami.  Always great customer service, too.

OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Are you sure he didn't mean processed foods? Table salt accounts for a minuscule amount of the sodium most people consume. Also, a new recommendation came out in May: 

In a report that undercuts years of public health warnings, a prestigious group convened by the government says there is no good reason based on health outcomes for many Americans to drive their sodium consumption down to the very low levels recommended in national dietary guidelines.

Here's the story.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited September 2013
    im not sure why but when i use a small amount of allspice i have to cut the salt way back in a recipe or the salt overpowers it. when im trying to eat healthier i add a splash of vinegar to some things, if you havent experimented with the array of vinegars it may help, champagne vinagars, tarragon infused vinegars etc. big difference in a good balsamic over the typical supermarket one. citrus is a good addition as well, throw some right on the grill with the chicken. i think when your just starting to cut back on the salt that going big on strong vibrant flavors helps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Our local spice shop has great rubs and blends, and carries a selection of salt-free rubs and blends that you can order online:  http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices-by-category/salt-free-blends 

I haven't tried any of them yet.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• @MrPotatohead - Wow! That'll keep my spice grinder busy! Thank you for sharing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Replace your current salt with an unrefined hand harvested salt. Here is an interesting article that explains the diffence. http://saltoftheearth.com.au/good-and-bad-salt.html
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Another vote for Mrs Dash
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    I like the dizzy pig rubs that are low in sodium. Are you on lisinopril for the hypertension? Been on it now for about 9 months and for me it's been a wonder drug! BP is just fine! I was actually prescribed it last September and didn't take it part denial part stubbornness let a three month supply build up in my pantry then got a sinus infection went to walk in clinic and BP was 185/120. Confessed to not taking it and when I saw the alarm on the docs face went home took one and haven't looked back! Sorry for the OT rambling but it is somewhat related, though lisinopril is not a salt!
  • Well...You asked...

I too agree that the Mrs. Dash seasonings are good. I have only ever used two; the Original and the Grilling Blend

OTOH, I take pride in making my own blends so that I can control salt and a lot of other crap that goes into some of the preparations.

I don't think that I have purchased any spice blends for maybe ten or more years now. Here are the Low and No salt blends in my pantry.

I have made and used them all. And they are really good.

LOW SALT BLENDS:

SPANISH TOWN

2 T. prepared curry powder
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1 T. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 T. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder

1 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground red pepper (fine ground cayenne)

SANTA FE 3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery seed
    1 T. black pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1 t. salt    NUTTSY’S ”ALL PURPOSE” DRY RUB  1 T. garlic powder 1 T. onion powder 1 T. brown sugar 1 t. salt 1 t. black pepper 1 t. basil 1 t. paprika 1/2 t. cayenne   JB’s COCOA and CHILI RUB  1-1/2 t. crushed red pepper 1 t. Kosher salt (more or less) 1/2 t. white pepper 2 T. fresh ground coffee 1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder 1 T. brown sugar 1 T. pure Ancho chili powder     NO SALT BLENDS:   SOUTH AMERICAN 36 dried De Arbol chilies 12 dried Pasilla chilies (Seeded and broken / chopped into very fine pieces, grind if possible) 2 t. ground cinnamon 1 t. ground coriander 1/2 t. ground cumin   ORIENTAL FIVE SPICE 2 T. ground cloves 2 T. ground cinnamon 2 T. ground fennel seed 2 T. ground anise 2 T. ground Szechwan pepper (As Szechwan can be hard to come by; black pepper, white pepper or even allspice, will work)   Here is the famous Jim Goode’s BBQ Beef Rub. It can be used when low salt (or no salt) is desired. It is one of the staples in my cupboard.    JIM GOODE’S BBQ BEEF RUB
    Original recipe yield: 3 /4 C.
    2-1/2 T. dark brown sugar
    2 T. paprika
    2 t. mustard powder
    2 t. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 t. ground bay leaves
    3/4 t. ground coriander seed
    3/4 t. ground savory
    3/4 t. dried thyme
    3/4 t. ground black pepper
    3/4 t. ground white pepper
    1/8 t. ground cumin
    salt to taste (or none at all)

Notes: Even though this is “labeled” as a beef rub
    …I especially like this rub on chicken and thick cut pork chops heading for the grill.   The sugar in the rub will brown and make a "caramelized crust" when using higher cook temperatures, so be careful there.   Once you mix the spices they'll keep well for 6 months or more in an airtight jar. When ready to use, just rub into the meat, wrap in plastic or use a baggie, and refrigerate the night before grilling."   This rub also inspired a similar rub known as J J’s Rub which is exactly the same mixture, but with 1-1/2 t. of rosemary added.   MEMPHIS STYLE RUB for a LOW & SLOW  1/4 C. paprika 1 T. dark brown sugar 1 T. white sugar 1 t. celery seed 1 t. black pepper 1 t. dry mustard 1 t. onion powder 1 t. garlic powder 1 to 3 t. cayenne pepper (to taste)   Notes: This mix is great on a Pork Butt, Shoulder, Ribs (pork or beef) and   brisket.  Give a good rub down and rest, up to over night, in the fridge. Cook, indirect, over a low fire with some of your favorite smoke-wood.   OLD BAY SEASONING 1 T. Bay leaves, fine ground 2 t. celery seed 1 -1/2 t. dry mustard 1 -1/2 t. black pepper 3/4 t. nutmeg 1/2 t. ginger 1/2 t. cloves 1/2 t. paprika 1/2 t. cayenne 1/4 t. mace 1/4 t. cardamom  
    Jerry?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bayarad said:
    I like the dizzy pig rubs that are low in sodium. Are you on lisinopril for the hypertension? Been on it now for about 9 months and for me it's been a wonder drug! BP is just fine! I was actually prescribed it last September and didn't take it part denial part stubbornness let a three month supply build up in my pantry then got a sinus infection went to walk in clinic and BP was 185/120. Confessed to not taking it and when I saw the alarm on the docs face went home took one and haven't looked back! Sorry for the OT rambling but it is somewhat related, though lisinopril is not a salt!

Not because of high BP for me (surprising for a fat guy), but it has something to do with kidney stones.  I have one and the doc said that cutting back on salt would help in not getting more stones.  I have no idea about the science of it all.  I just nodded my head like I knew what he was saying and started thinking about where I take in most of my salt.  For me I think it's rubs.

Someone will probably get on here and tell me I'm wrong and have a bunch of info to back up their argument, however, reducing the salt in rubs I use can't be a bad thing.  That's where I'm going to start.

Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    I now have a different doc.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Baby steps, my friend! Ya gotta take it slow and steady! Try the low sodium dizzy pig rubs, I am a big fan of their products.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223

Not because of high BP for me (surprising for a fat guy), but it has something to do with kidney stones.  I have one and the doc said that cutting back on salt would help in not getting more stones.  I have no idea about the science of it all.  I just nodded my head like I knew what he was saying and started thinking about where I take in most of my salt.  For me I think it's rubs.

Someone will probably get on here and tell me I'm wrong and have a bunch of info to back up their argument, however, reducing the salt in rubs I use can't be a bad thing.  That's where I'm going to start.

My wife had kidney stones that was giving her infections in her kidneys and bladder.  She did the following overnight cleanse and it not only eliminated her kidney stones but also over 100 liver stones she didn't even know she had.

Refrain from eating supper

1 oz. Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice (may substitute with lemon or lime juice)
    1oz. Olive Oil
     Every 15 min for 3 hours

Go to Bed.  You will use the bathroom in morning

In the morning take 1 Tsp. Sea Salt in a Quart of Warm Water

Sounds weird but all stones gone overnight!

• Sorry about the way my blends recipes posted. Just did a cut and paste from MSWord..

But it came out a bit off..I'd say.

Steven, Yes, it me!

And thanks for the post on the "stone removal". I have that prob and will give it a try!

• lousubcap said:
    Be glad that exam is not happening with both hands on your shoulders :)>-  Now for the salt-free rub, Penzey's makes salt-free southwestern flavored rub "Arizona Dreaming" that is quite good.  Give it a shot-
    Fred - missed this post earlier. Penzey's has a number of "Heart Kind" rubs that are salt free. Arizona Dreaming is the best, IMO. Mural of Flavor is also very good on chicken. 33rd and Galena for pork and Forward for veggies. Initially, you need to really over season the meat with a lot of rub, amazing how much we like the salt hit. 
    My 75 year old Aunt visited us this past summer, she is on salt free diet and raved over all the Penzey's spices. Seemed bland to me, but her "salt free taste buds" really liked them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!