Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Pork Loin...Success!

Options
itsmce
itsmce Posts: 410

I've had my large BGE a little over a month and have been successful with everything I have tried.  Was fearful to tackle a pork loin because my past experiences cooking loin has been that they are so very dry, but I was brave and in the end was glad that I tackled the beast.

The prep:  I gave the 4 pound loin a slathering with yellow mustard and olive oil then coated all sides with a sprinkling of Lowrey's season salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and celery salt.  This is the combination that my grandmother used on baby back ribs way back in 1953 before it was cool to use rubs and smoke ribs on a home rig.  Thanks, DBC!

The rigging: Set up the Egg for indirect cook with the plate setter legs up. I used BGE charcoal and tossed in a few hickory chunks right before I put the loin on. I put the loin in my V-Rack and set the V-rack in a drip pan and the drip pan on the grate. I was targeting 300 degrees, but it actually started out a little below that.

The cook:  The first 30 minutes the temp worked its way from 250 up to 300 degrees, after that it held steady at 300.  I inserted a temperature probe after about an hour and after a total cooking time of almost 2 hours the loin reached 158 degrees.  We were anxious for dinner, so I plucked the loin from the Egg at that time.  It rested for 10 to 15 while the rest of the meal was prepped.

The result:  Delicious!  The loin was wonderfully juicy and it had a nice pink smoke ring about a third of an inch in from the exterior. I took pictures to share, but can't figure out how to size them appropriately.

I can't wait until Pork Loins are on sale again!

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Good cook.  It's  a good thing patience ran out.  Going much higher in temp would have resulted in it being dry.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Here's the loin, sliced and plated.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Congrats. Wish you had some sliced up pics. Try pulling it a bit sooner. FDA says pork is safe at 145F now, if you can get people to eat pink pork. I usually pull mine at 140 and let it rest.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Looks great. I pull mine at 140 and pull the platesetter and let it fire up then sear all 4 sides over direct heat. We like that caramelized crust on outside. I do everything else basically same.

Little Rock, AR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks beautiful.  I too have started going a little lower with pork; but it looks like 158 worked out just fine for you. 

If you get the chance, try a rack of pork.  Basically a pork loin with the ribs still attached.  They usually go on sale at Costco around the holidays.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @SmokyPitt - I got my first egg right around xmas last year, and by the time I got to Costco to pick up a rack o' pork - they were all out! I have been lusting after rack o' pork since then, and can't wait to cook one this year.

@itsmce - haven't done a loin yet, but cooks like yours make me want to. Nicely done.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • revolver1
    Options
    Glad yours turned out well.  I do mine to about 145/150 IT.  Slight pink center.  Family loves them that way.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    caliking said:
    @SmokyPitt - I got my first egg right around xmas last year, and by the time I got to Costco to pick up a rack o' pork - they were all out! I have been lusting after rack o' pork since then, and can't wait to cook one this year.

@itsmce - haven't done a loin yet, but cooks like yours make me want to. Nicely done.
    Cali it is an excellent cook.  I can't wait until they are back again this year! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.