Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BOOM

So here I am heating up the egg for some steaks. After about 25 minutes I hear a loud BOOM and see a plume of coal dust rising from the grate area. UMM, yea wtf was that? After cooking I saw that the Fire Grate was cracked! great, now I have to get another one..

Comments

• Get a Hi Que
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,082
    Hi que or the grate from stlcharcoal. It'll be less than 25 minutes to get to temp.
  • EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    Was just on Hi Que website. Didn't see a grate for the XL egg
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,082
    I don't think one is made for the XL due to size. Stlcharcoal doesn't either but he recommends getting 2 weber grates(18 inch, I think) and crossing them at a 90 degree angle. It's around a 20 dollar investment.
  • I bought some thin SS rod (or thick SS wire, whichever you prefer to call it) to make a bale handle. I wonder if short pieces of that could be used to "twist-tie" your broken fire grate back together?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,475
    GreenhawK said:
    Get a Hi Que
    Yep. That.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I don't think Hi Que makes a grate for the XL.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

• EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    I don't think one is made for the XL due to size. Stlcharcoal doesn't either but he recommends getting 2 weber grates(18 inch, I think) and crossing them at a 90 degree angle. It's around a 20 dollar investment.

Why would you need 2 Weber grates?
  • Fed - do you know if Hi-que makes a grate for the XL? Cross em at a 90 so you don't lose so much coal - the gaps are pretty wide on the weber grates.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 168
    the cross hatch prevents to much charcoal from falling through
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,926

Why would you need 2 Weber grates?
    Two reasons - 1. it's stronger, so it'll bow less with time.  2. Keeps less small lump from falling through.

Yep, they don't make High-Que fire grates for the XL, last I heard.  Air flow through the factory grate is fine.  If you can get a warranty replacement, do it.

• Well that definitely makes a lot of sense. I will head to Lowes or Home Depot and see what they have for sale I appreciate it guys
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited September 2013
    nm.  Posted to Wrong thread.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• what type of grill it it that broke stainless or cast iron
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,626
    Well that definitely makes a lot of sense. I will head to Lowes or Home Depot and see what they have for sale I appreciate it guys
    For the XL, you probably want the thicker steel charcoal grate for the 22.5" Weber kettle, which will be about 18" diameter. I used this 2 charcoal grate mod for my large and have been happy with it. Price it out  though - may not be that much cheaper than the Hi-Que grate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,459
    The fire grate on XL is one heavy piece.  I'm stunned that thing broke. 

Factory airflow on the XL is just fine.  Call your dealer and get a warranty replacement.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.