Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BOOM

So here I am heating up the egg for some steaks. After about 25 minutes I hear a loud BOOM and see a plume of coal dust rising from the grate area. UMM, yea wtf was that? After cooking I saw that the Fire Grate was cracked! great, now I have to get another one..

Comments

• Get a Hi Que
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,550
    Hi que or the grate from stlcharcoal. It'll be less than 25 minutes to get to temp.
  • EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    Was just on Hi Que website. Didn't see a grate for the XL egg
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,550
    I don't think one is made for the XL due to size. Stlcharcoal doesn't either but he recommends getting 2 weber grates(18 inch, I think) and crossing them at a 90 degree angle. It's around a 20 dollar investment.
  • I bought some thin SS rod (or thick SS wire, whichever you prefer to call it) to make a bale handle. I wonder if short pieces of that could be used to "twist-tie" your broken fire grate back together?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,471
    GreenhawK said:
    Get a Hi Que
    Yep. That.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I don't think Hi Que makes a grate for the XL.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    I don't think one is made for the XL due to size. Stlcharcoal doesn't either but he recommends getting 2 weber grates(18 inch, I think) and crossing them at a 90 degree angle. It's around a 20 dollar investment.

Why would you need 2 Weber grates?
  • Fed - do you know if Hi-que makes a grate for the XL? Cross em at a 90 so you don't lose so much coal - the gaps are pretty wide on the weber grates.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 161
    the cross hatch prevents to much charcoal from falling through
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,427

Why would you need 2 Weber grates?
    Two reasons - 1. it's stronger, so it'll bow less with time.  2. Keeps less small lump from falling through.

Yep, they don't make High-Que fire grates for the XL, last I heard.  Air flow through the factory grate is fine.  If you can get a warranty replacement, do it.

• Well that definitely makes a lot of sense. I will head to Lowes or Home Depot and see what they have for sale I appreciate it guys
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited September 2013
    nm.  Posted to Wrong thread.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• what type of grill it it that broke stainless or cast iron
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,157
    Well that definitely makes a lot of sense. I will head to Lowes or Home Depot and see what they have for sale I appreciate it guys
    For the XL, you probably want the thicker steel charcoal grate for the 22.5" Weber kettle, which will be about 18" diameter. I used this 2 charcoal grate mod for my large and have been happy with it. Price it out  though - may not be that much cheaper than the Hi-Que grate.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    The fire grate on XL is one heavy piece.  I'm stunned that thing broke. 

Factory airflow on the XL is just fine.  Call your dealer and get a warranty replacement.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.