Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Warranty satisfaction!!!

So I do love my egg but to be honest i have had nothing but trouble aligning my dome and getting my bands to stay in place during high heat cooks.Three times now I have had to loosen and realign my bands after they shifted after a 500+ degree cook and in doing so I chipped my dome:((

Yes everything was very tight:)

Frustrated as hell I called my dealer and today found out they are replacing my dome and hinge /band assembly all under warranty....great service!!!

Love BGE!!!!!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Not sure how impt the torque wrench is but I will be buying one and doing it correctly this time.
    Hopefully I can avoid another under-bite too:)

• I bought a torque wrench and I was surprised how much force was required. I was only have as tight as it should have been.

Aurora,OH
  • I bought a torque wrench and I was surprised how much force was required. I was only have as tight as it should have been.

Chive on brother! BFM!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Speaking of torque wrenches for the occasional user it is hard to beat the really cool one at Harbor Freight that comes in a hard plastic case to boot. It supposedly is $39.99 but it is always on sale in their ads for $9.99. I mainly use mine when I retighten my mower blade nut after sharpening.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CANMAN1976
    RRP said:
    Speaking of torque wrenches for the occasional user it is hard to beat the really cool one at Harbor Freight that comes in a hard plastic case to boot. It supposedly is $39.99 but it is always on sale in their ads for $9.99. I mainly use mine when I retighten my mower blade nut after sharpening.
    Would this be the wrench you refered to RRP ?

Sweet price... here in Canada a torque wrench is $99.00 at Canadian tire.

Not sure if they ship to Canada though?? 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yes that is the one. Here they run ads all the time that the reg price is $39.99 on sale for $19.99 but further marked down for $9.99. It is very heavy and since I have a pretty good handle on Canadian postage costs I know it would be cost prohibitive for me to send you one.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I'm having a very similar problem with mine right now.  I called BGE directly.  They are sending me new bands and bolts.  But reading your post, I'm thinking I ought to call the dealer I purchased from.  After all, they were the ones that set it up.  I've got an underbite of about 1/2 an inch at the moment.  It's exacerbated after high heat cooks.  Really annoying.  
    Southern California
  • CANMAN1976
    bicktrav said:
    I'm having a very similar problem with mine right now.  I called BGE directly.  They are sending me new bands and bolts.  But reading your post, I'm thinking I ought to call the dealer I purchased from.  After all, they were the ones that set it up.  I've got an underbite of about 1/2 an inch at the moment.  It's exacerbated after high heat cooks.  Really annoying.  
    Mine is realigned and functional again but I still have a slight under-bite in the front (less than 1/4 inch) but the seal is good.Cooked spatchcock at 400 for an hour yesterday and everything stayed tight so hopefully this alignment lasts.I find that the bands need to be perfectly parallel all the way around the egg  to prevent the bands from moving.Very odd for the bands to slip cause the flanges on the bands were the bolts are are almost touching together now and are very tight?
    Im thinking my hinge was defective ...who knows?

• bicktrav said:
    I'm having a very similar problem with mine right now.  I called BGE directly.  They are sending me new bands and bolts.  But reading your post, I'm thinking I ought to call the dealer I purchased from.  After all, they were the ones that set it up.  I've got an underbite of about 1/2 an inch at the moment.  It's exacerbated after high heat cooks.  Really annoying.  
    Mine is realigned and functional again but I still have a slight under-bite in the front (less than 1/4 inch) but the seal is good.Cooked spatchcock at 400 for an hour yesterday and everything stayed tight so hopefully this alignment lasts.I find that the bands need to be perfectly parallel all the way around the egg  to prevent the bands from moving.Very odd for the bands to slip cause the flanges on the bands were the bolts are are almost touching together now and are very tight?
    Im thinking my hinge was defective ...who knows?
    same exact problem I have. No matter what i do or what method i use, I have a 1/4 inch under bite. I think its a hinge assembly issue but nobody will confirm that. 
  • CANMAN1976
    Question...are the carridge bolt nuts supposed to be 1/2 inch or 5/16 inch? Mine are 1/2 inch nuts but the instruction sheet calls em 5/16 hex nuts??

• Question...are the carridge bolt nuts supposed to be 1/2 inch or 5/16 inch? Mine are 1/2 inch nuts but the instruction sheet calls em 5/16 hex nuts??

5/16" nuts and bolts usually require a 1/2" wrench to tighten them.  This may be a source of confusion to many.  There are a few exceptions to this, but not many. 

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Let me know if you want the HF wrench, I go there every couple of weeks. I can pick one up drive her over the border and mail you the wrench for under $15, so cost to you will be $25. 

I have two of their wrenches, work just fine for egg work, I would not rebuild a motor with it, but good for this stuff.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    Let me know if you want the HF wrench, I go there every couple of weeks. I can pick one up drive her over the border and mail you the wrench for under $15, so cost to you will be $25. 

I have two of their wrenches, work just fine for egg work, I would not rebuild a motor with it, but good for this stuff

Thanks for the offer Skiddy,i'm going to see if one goes on sale at Canadian tire first as they always mark stuff down.I'll let you know if I can't get one here though:)

• CANMAN1976
    Probably going to get this one.It's a 1/2 inch drive 10-150 feet/lb torque wrench from tekton.Its only 39 bucks and is free shipping!!!

Would a 1/2 drive be the best size to get....as you can tell i'm not the mechanical type:/

Any opinions?

Thanks 
    Jamie.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I would get a 3/8" drive if it was me buying. 1/2" is kinda overkill if all you are using it for is your Egg bolts. Just sayin.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• CANMAN1976
    Ok so 3/8 drive..Sockets are easy to find for all drives sizes?

• bud812

As easy as 1/2' drive to find.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812
    You may also want to get a deep socket too, I can't remember if you need a deep or regular socket. I'm not at home so I can't go out & look.

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• CANMAN1976
    edited September 2013
    Yes,I noticed that earlier .I will defiantly need the deeper socket as the carridge bolts are 2" long.So 10 foot/lbs doesn't seem like alot of tightness, that's all it takes to bend the bolts??