Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need cook ideas!

So Dyal and I, and maybe others, are doing a cook at local dealer Sept 21. Anyone in or around Columbia should come by Jack Olivers
So I have a mini with no accessories and I have a large with a PS and a pizza stone. Looking for ideas to cook. Dyal is making piri piri wings. I would love to do ABTs or bacon wrapped artichoke hearts but that I think is tedious in high volume. A bacon explosion might be cool. Also think a dessert of some sort would be cool. Any suggestions? 
I would also love tips for prep both the food and the egg. So I do not have a nest, my egg is in a table I made. What is the best way to move the egg there? I assume just take apart and put in bed of truck? Then I guess let cool and pick up next day or that evening? Also since no nest should bring pavers to set it on (I have probably 7-8 pavers unused in my shed) or is there a better way? I guess I could load up the table as it is on wheels and put in truck, thought that would mean removing my toolbox ha. 
Any and all tips for everything would be appreciated!
Boom

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Moink Balls are easy and always a hit.
    If you are doing the cook at BGE dealer I would make him provide an Egg!

Duncan, SC
  • Mross said:
    Moink Balls are easy and always a hit.
    If you are doing the cook at BGE dealer I would make him provide an Egg!

I have never done moink balls, will look up. 
    They are paying for food but I do not think proving egg ha. Though might be worth asking as will make my life a ton easier. 
    Boom
  • I just looked up moink balls. that might be perfect. the woman who owns this http://slatheriton.com/ is my coworker and it is really good sauce and she has offered a gallon of the sauce gratis for me to use for this. so might be a perfect mixing. 
    Boom
  • MOINK balls i think will be perfect. great suggestion
    looks like raised indirect at 250 degrees, turn after 30 mins, then lightly slather every 10 mins for another 30 and then eat? Sound right?
    Boom
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    That sounds right to me.
    Duncan, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    So many choices!  Some thoughts that come to mind:

Fatties- (Bacon explosion is a type of fattie, but you could do a simpler version that is not so labor intensive)

Pork Tenderloins - Cooks quick- easy to cut up into small servings. 

A different kind of wings. Can't have to many wings!

Cook pork butts ahead of time and FTC and carry them on site.  Only problem with this is the egg might still be hot when you need to load it up, but if the dealer can provide you an egg to cook on this might be a nice option. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Always hard to move a large.  Best tool for doing it is the potlifter--you can order from Amazon.  Even then, takes two strong guys to get it up out of my table.  Removing the insides helps with the weight obviously.  I am sure someone at dealer can help you load/unload, problem will be how much help you have at home.  I have removed my dome before--zip tie the hinges shut and loosen top band bolt, and it lifts off pretty easily and goes back on easily.  Make SURE you zip tie the hinges shut at the hinge before removing the lid--otherwise the top band easily pops up due to spring tension and hits you in the head/chin/whatever.  Have fun, I won't be able to make the drive down from Greenville that day.
  • a few beer can chickens they cook up in like a hour and a half and you can carve it up into small taste size pieces and you will look like a rock star because the chicken comes that good 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • A few ideas, I recently did a live burn demo, the dealer should have a "live burn demo egg", I cooked 2 pork butts the day before and pulled it for pulled pork sliders. I did sausage fatties on site the first thing and sliced for fatty sliders(with sliced onion and garden fresh tomato slices). when the sausage came off I did moink balls that I prepared the night before and cooked on site.  For the sweet we did grilled pineapple that was marinated in coconut milk with Dizzy Pig pineapple sprinkled on, cut into bite size and serve with a tooth pick.  Cooler full of bottled water and off you go. Mike

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Smoked meatloaf, easy to make , cooks in about an hour,can be cut up into small servings. Most people probably have never tasted it.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • All of the above are great.  I'd prefer the pork tenderloins.  Take the smaller end, fold it over and put toothpicks in it to keep in place.  Quick and very easy.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Some prep work but red pears, stuffed with cream and cheddar cheese, walnuts and wrapped in bacon went over well in salado. You could always do a smoked dip ahead of time. Small cups and a fancy cracker thrown in. @Sancho65 and his wife did tortilla pizzas. I couldn't get to their table. Easy and awesome. Vary the toppings. A cobbler would make everyone love you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

We do cobbler all the time.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• @RAC, that looks great. Do you use came batter for the cobbler?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI