Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How beyond the date do you go?

How far beyond the label do you guys go for your steaks? Tonight I had a steak go 10 days over the sell by date. My wife says that I have to imagine that it's dry aging in the fridge...I wasn't so sure ... I thought it smelled pretty bad but she convinced me to cook it. Well, you know what....it was delicious :)

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,575
    I always err on the side of safety...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I applaud your daring..

Dry aging is a more carefully controlled process than keeping it in the fridge. Sounds like you did OK, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it.  Although Alton says you can do it..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 19,771
    For beef I go way over.  Anything cryovac wrapped, I don't have a problem going over a week or two.  Fish, I try to eat as soon as possible and rinse and ice down daily if I have to keep it refrigerated (versus frozen).  Anything else - pork, chicken, etc, try to not go more than a couple days or I'll freeze it.

• NervousDadNervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013
    I'm sure it's okay, since the sell-by date is just an estimate, which can be wrong on either side of the date. For me I toss it in the freezer the day before the date if I don't eat it.

If it were just for me I'd eat it a few days past (max 2), but with kids I go with the safety factor.

Looks delicious btw.
    Aurora,OH
  • I don't really pay too much attention to best before dates :D

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1188259&catid=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NervousDadNervousDad Posts: 307
    edited September 2013

I don't really pay too much attention to best before dates :D

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1188259&catid=1

:-& #:-S That is crazy!  :D
    Aurora,OH
  • Check out www.goodby.com
  • I'll go a few days past the "Best By" date.  Not sure if I'd do 10 days.

Now I'm hungry!!!

"They don't love themselves so they can't love no one else"
    -Peter Tosh

Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,703

I don't really pay too much attention to best before dates :D

Little Steven that is classic!  That was a fun lunch time read.  It's funny I was thinking I wish Stike were here to explain why the meat (beef) is still safe. 

"Say hi to u mami for me."

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

•  It's funny I was thinking I wish Stike were here to explain why the meat (beef) is still safe. 

"Say hi to u mami for me."
    I liked Stike but I don't think my stomach is up to some of his ideas.

Gerhard
  • How far? As far as my nose will take me, but no farther.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.