Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pollo ala Plancha

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Haven't posted a cook in a while, so here goes...

Wanted to make some chicken, so found a Saveur recipe for Cuban-style adobo chicken that fit the bill. It was simple enough for a school night. 

Recipe called for cumin, lotsa garlic, paprika, lemon juice ( I subbed lime juice), salt, pepper, allspice, and olive oil. I also added some cayenne, and a habanero from the yard for heat. Marinated 4 chicken quarters in it for about 3hrs.

Fired up the egg with some pecan for smoke. For the "plancha" I used my Lil Tuff Guy, so that I would have some room for sweet potatoes. Potatoes cooked for about an hour or so, chicken cooked for 10mins a side until the IT hit 170ish. 

The chicken was quite good. I love cumin and garlic, so This recipe will be repeated for sure. I liked using the "plancha" because the marinade did not get wasted - I scooped it all up (cooked) from the plancha and dressed the cooked chicken with it at the end. We discovered sweet potatoes recently and are loving them just wrapped in foil on the egg - super simple side. No plated shots because 1) I am incapable of taking egg-worthy plated shots at night 2) We were really hungry.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:
     I am incapable of taking egg-worthy plated shots at night 
    Looks really good, Cali.  I like your spices too !!

As far as the plated pictures.  Think "bounce flash".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, VI!

Lighting in my kitchen is not great for taking food pics at night. Will be investing in a DSLR soon, so I hope to be able to learn how to take better pics. Right now I use my phone all the time because its always in my pocket.

Forgot to mention that the quarters were skinless. The spices really worked their way into the meat, despite not being marinated for long,  and the chicken was very moist. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Even on your phone, take a post-it or 3x5 card and angle it toward the ceiling in front of the flash. It's difficult to use your hand since the led is so small.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Look's very good! I guess you lost my phone number again!!!!!!!! :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yes very good! I like Cuban food, not the kind they serve in resorts, out in the towns there is some great stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will be trying this, thanks for posting!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options
    @Eggcelsior: I'll try that. Got plenty of post-its.

@RAC: I keep calling but it goes straight to voicemail :D

@Little Steven: yep those are the kind of places we prefer too. We try to avoid resort's for that reason.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Fantastic @caliking. Sounds like it had great flavor. I don't have a plancha or a comal, but I bet a good ole CI Skillet would work just as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Looking great bro. Will be on my list. Peruvian/ Cuban kind of food is my new kick.

I will be on it shortly.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Yet another reason to get some CI!  Thanks for the post - looks great.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Springram
    Options
    Great looking cook. It appears you made some slits in the chicken. Great way to get marinade into the meat in short order.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    Options

@Griffin and @sumoconnell: CI would work great for this. I'm trying to get maximum use out of my Tuff Guys - they are turning out to be useful!

@Aviator: Yeah, we've come late to Peruvian food (last year or so) but love it. Let's see some cooks - would love to try some. My discovery this year is that you can never have too much garlic or cumin on meat.

@Springram: I usually cut slits when cooking chicken on the bone. Works great for getting the flavor deep into bigger pipeces of chicken.