Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT coyotes OT

Comments

• henapple said:
    I'm serious... A little anti freeze soaked brisket will thin them out.
    i know what your saying but im pretty sure thats what killed my last dogs kidneys a couple years ago, one of the neighbors killing cats

Bingo!  You may kill the 'yote, but you may kill your neighbors' pets too...  That would be a tough conversation.

Just get a bow or you could get a big Havahart trap and shoot them once trapped with a .22 short.  It's about as loud as an air rifle.

LBGE

BTFU!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I just meant if the pets were inside. Sorry about your dog. The cat.... We'll... lols jk broski.

@fisherman... For your future street cred points, it's not l o l s... It's pronounced laws jk broski. The young folks will count you as one of their own.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @henapple, are you gettin' yo drank on?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Mross said:
    WOW! I live on a golf course and my neighbors would buy me drinks for killing a yote in the yard.

I feel for ya Fish. Why do you stay there?
    from newhampshire across the boarder, when looking for a house the property taxes are litterally 4 times more there than here, thats 2000 verse 8000 for my 1/10 acre lot on the water.  and the work is better 20 minutes from boston. if i didnt have my camp in maine i would go nuts. oh, and they needed a token voter that votes for the other side
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nothing like a 1200fps pellet rifle to give them a good poke. Open up a winder and sit back and wait.
  • You need a night vision scope for your .223 and a rabbit distress call (downloadable here).

Problem solved.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    It's legal to kill them here Freddie but it's illegal to have a gun to do it with. :-S
    Actually, according to SCOTUS, it is illegal for them to NOT let you have one. Period.
    SCOTUS = Supreme Court of the US.
  • Is it safe you all aren't talking about me???

Seriously, we live in an area where coyotes are common...year round.  They have no fear of humans, or cars for that matter.  They aren't ones to mess with!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • Eggcelsior
    onedbguru said:
    It's legal to kill them here Freddie but it's illegal to have a gun to do it with. :-S
    Actually, according to SCOTUS, it is illegal for them to NOT let you have one. Period.
    SCOTUS = Supreme Court of the US.
    SCOTUS does not compute in Canada.

That line only works south of the largest non-militarized border in the world.
  • henapple
    Little Steven is in Canada... Where men are men and seals are nervous.
  • I believe that Canada has a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the US does if you exclude hand guns and mil style guns. Where I live you can shoot them with up to .223 but only if your property is greater than 20 acres.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    If you exclude hand guns and mil type weapons... Where's the fun?
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:

If you exclude hand guns and mil type weapons... Where's the fun?

Pond hockey, bro. No need for guns when you have a Bauer or CCM twig throwing rubber around.
  • Problem is I was a target, can't shoot to save my life

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    Bauer? Jack Bauer. CCM? CMMG.. Ar 10...

Its murica baby... We know guns.
  • Eggcelsior

Problem is I was a target, can't shoot to save my life

Check out YouTube. There are endless videos of gun owners with the same issue. Darwin FTW.
  • I meant shoot in hockey...like puck and stick shoot. Target means goalie here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior

I meant shoot in hockey...like puck and stick shoot. Target means goalie here

My mistake. Don't be ashamed, goalies have the biggest sticks.
  • I've killed a few in our neighborhood - we are in town with 1/2 acre lots and definite no shooting in town laws. Sometimes a guy has to defend himself, and if he's lucky he will have a bow out on the deck at dusk or a 22 and a flashlight just after dark.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The answer for Yotes is.... When I lived in WYO years ago ranchers would pay you to handle the problem. My little brother took it to a whole new extreme of hunting these varmints. Every year at Christmas he would get us all incredible gifts. Hunting varmints paid off.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• E
    TUTTLE871 said:

The answer for Yotes is....
    When I lived in WYO years ago ranchers would pay you to handle the problem. My little brother took it to a whole new extreme of hunting these varmints. Every year at Christmas he would get us all incredible gifts.
    Hunting varmints paid off.

That's the same rifle my squad designated marksmen carried in A-Stan.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • We have a pack of about 25 in our portion of inside weird. Most everyone in our hood understands that pets can and will be eaten.
    Some of the coyote pups had a run in with our road runner. He won, but looked awful for a while. Last lot is being cleared and I saw our road runner walking across the street with a small snake in it beak...I pointed him out to one of the new neighbors and she freak out. Never a dull moment on our hill.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  •  I saw our road runner walking across the street with a small snake in it beak...I pointed him out to one of the new neighbors and she freak out. Never a dull moment on our hill.
    That's why my wife loves our resident road runners. She hates snakes !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Get these mother effing snakes of my mother effing lawn.

Beep Beep.
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57

Aloha

No coyotes here.  But lots of chickens and javalina's (pigs) to deal with...Both go well on the Egg.

We also have Kangaroo's in the hills.  Never seen any but have seen photos of them along the city streets where they were seeking drinking water.

Aloha from the Sandwich Islands.

• Coyotes are getting bad here in town now too. There have been reports of them jumping over privacy fences, getting small dogs, and jumping back over with them in their mouth. The city has been trying to trap them without much luck.  

My wife saw a couple eyeing our dog a few months ago, but they didn't want any part of him.  Good thing we have a Great Pyrenees that can easily handle them.  He had a Pit Bull get loose and attack him 2 weeks ago.  By the time I got outside, he had the Pit on his back holding it down.

You aren't supposed to shoot Coyotes in town, ( outside of town it is always open season) but I have some .22 LR Sub Sonics.  They sound about like a snap n pop. If they come back they may just end up with a piece of lead in the belly.  That way they will run off and die later.  No having to dispose of it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • We had a neighbour shoot six last winter, most farms around here are cash crop so they don't bother the farmers so much.  We have a big deer problem here as well while coyotes don't normally go for game that big they do keep the deer moving which isn't so good for car traffic.  I have never heard of a coyote going after pets around here but some people have loose running chickens that they suspect where killed by coyotes.  I find coyotes avoid people, maybe if we where more densely populated in this area they would come closer to houses and people.

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    chased two out of the yard with my baseball bat last night, followed them down the street about 6 or 7 houses, they took off, changed direction and beat me back to the yard. sneaky buggers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior

KICK HIS ASS, SEA BASS!
  • gerhardk said:
    We had a neighbour shoot six last winter, most farms around here are cash crop so they don't bother the farmers so much.  We have a big deer problem here as well while coyotes don't normally go for game that big they do keep the deer moving which isn't so good for car traffic.  I have never heard of a coyote going after pets around here but some people have loose running chickens that they suspect where killed by coyotes.  I find coyotes avoid people, maybe if we where more densely populated in this area they would come closer to houses and people.

Gerhard

Man my business partner (who lives about a mile from me) found a hoof and a bit of fur on his property last spring. They take deer. That's why the wolf population is falling in the north.

Steve 

Caledon, ON