Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal in south carolina.

Im not satisfied with any local charcoal that i can get (cowboy, Bge, royal oak, nature glo) and looking at getting a half pallet from wicked good or dragons breath. Is anyone interested in splitting a load? Im located in beaufort sc. I found that the natures glo doesnt last as long as others and it was difficult on my last low/slow butts to keep the temp towards the end. 

Any insight on other brands would be welcomed, I know that Wicked changed blends in January and im trying to get feedback weather its worth it or not to go with them. Thanks 

Charles
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• There's a Rockwood group buy going on in Columbia right now.......not sure how far that is.  Send me your email address and I'll forward it to the organizer.

If it's too far, email me your ZIP code and I'll figure out what it would be to get a pallet direct to you.  My guess would be about $500 w/ shipping for 30 bags, 20# each.

• Styer
    Styer Posts: 25
    edited September 2013

There's a Rockwood group buy going on in Columbia right now.......not sure how far that is.  Send me your email address and I'll forward it to the organizer.

If it's too far, email me your ZIP code and I'll figure out what it would be to get a pallet direct to you.  My guess would be about $500 w/ shipping for 30 bags, 20# each.

now thats tempting. About 1 cent difference compared to buying Royal Oak locally from wally world at $7.19 per 8.8 lb bag after tax. .83 cents/lb compared to .82 cents/lb
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    STL please have the organizer of the group buy in Columbia email me at mark@kmxp.com. I want in.
    Duncan, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited September 2013
    Im not satisfied with any local charcoal that i can get (cowboy, Bge, royal oak, nature glo) and looking at getting a half pallet from wicked good or dragons breath. Is anyone interested in splitting a load? Im located in beaufort sc. I found that the natures glo doesnt last as long as others and it was difficult on my last low/slow butts to keep the temp towards the end. 

Any insight on other brands would be welcomed, I know that Wicked changed blends in January and im trying to get feedback weather its worth it or not to go with them. Thanks 

Charles
    Not challenging your opinion but can you tell me what it is you find so objectionable to all the popular charcoals you mentioned? Are there some characteristics you want? Perhaps if you tell the forum then someone might suggest a brand that meets those...otherwise you might be forever looking. Personally I find little if any thing different in most brands and especially between BGE and Royal Oak, both which are made by Royal Oak. As for fire going out that sounds more like not enough lump to start with rather than any brand problem...I'm just trying to be helpful!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Hello...here's a whole new question...this was your first and only post here...and obviously knocking various lump charcoal products...was there something that you were really trying to say or laying ground work to advertise? I just find this very strange...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Wicked good is crap in my opinion! I agree with @RRP I think he's fishin!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Apparently, Fogo lump is available on Amazon and is very similar to old WGWW.

I can personally vouch for Rockwood. That stuff is awesome and better than the WGWW I tried(old blend).
  • Rockwood was my first choice but i called and they said it would be a whole pallet to me, No gentleman I am not fishing, I found several plastic pieces in the last 3 bags of cowboy and to be honest i didnt like the taste of some of my products after bge lump, didnt try royal oak as i already knew it was the same. I am a fire medic for the Marine Corps Recruit Depot on Parris Island and between that and the many volunteer things I get myself tied up in, I rarly have time to post. I asked a geniune question and didnt need someone on here to start trolling. thanks for your input, but i guess my palate is different and I was looking for a cleaner lump and wanted advice, not to be accused of anything. Btw the Nature Glo didnt do well on my last low/slow and actually burned out all the lump and the last 3 hours were difficult to keep 225. 

my email is plumbfire01@gmail.com STL please add me to the loop so i can get in on it. It is a 2 hour drive but well worth it for me . 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Are you waiting long enough for the "bad" smoke to clear?
  • Btw...I have had my egg for a couple years and I have been looking at stuff on here for a long time and I dont feel the need to post every single time I do a cook... Like some people taking pictures of lunch for facebook.....smh...

Furthermore, my fire building skills are above average and i couldnt fit any more lump into the the fire box as it is....I hand placed each piece after i cleaned and swept out the egg from the last cook before the butts went on.  The cowboy lump lasts longer then the bge and the nature glo IMO but the plastics killed it for me and the bge is just a lot of smaller pieces. 

Beaufort, SC
  •  

Rockwood was my first choice but i called and they said it would be a whole pallet to me, 

my email is plumbfire01@gmail.com STL please add me to the loop so i can get in on it. It is a 2 hour drive but well worth it for me . 

I forwarded you email to the gentleman organizing the SC buy.

BTW, I don't remember getting a call or email from you.  We can do less than a pallet, it's not going to be very economical though.  The freight is going to be about the same as a whole pallet.  If the group buy doesn't play out for you, just let me know and I'll try to work something out for you.

You might talk with your chief and see if you can get the fire dept to buy the other half of the pallet.  You guys do any charity BBQs?  We had one here in STL over the weekend--they went through 75 bags in two days.....raised $50K+ for a 13 y/o that lost her whole family in a house fire.

• yes I wait until its clear and i stick my hand over it and doesnt really have a smell. Thanks STL, I already worked it out with Joe, I am getting 15 bags from the group order. Thanks again. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • yes I wait until its clear and i stick my hand over it and doesnt really have a smell. Thanks STL, I already worked it out with Joe, I am getting 15 bags from the group order. Thanks again. 

Glad it worked out for you......hopefully Joe gets it all wrapped up and we can get those rolling pretty soon.  Thanks.
  • Please forward me ( glenn.perrin@gmail.com ) to SC group buy person, would love to get in on that
  • @stlcharcoal...send me that group by info also. Erblove@gmail.com

Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • zachawny said:
    Please forward me ( glenn.perrin@gmail.com ) to SC group buy person, would love to get in on that

erblove said:
    @stlcharcoal...send me that group by info also. Erblove@gmail.com

I forwarded your email addresses to Joe......