Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with tri-tip

Options
Need ideas, Temps,And times for a tri-tip
Midwestern boy so this is new to me.
A friend and I got some .And doing them
This weekend and I really can't have
One of those BLACK OVEL GRILLS
Beat me. THANKS

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like hot and fast. I cook them kinda like a steak to @125-130. Rest and then slice thin. Temp is a preference I go at @ 400- 450. Good hard sear/crust and mid rare in the middle. Good luck
  • bakoque
    Options
    I'm from centeral Calif. and cook tri tip regularly. Raised indirect at 400 until internal temperature is 135, then pull the plate setter and reverse sear for 5 minutes each side. Be sure to carve against the grain (it runs in 2 different directions). We like ours on the medium side of medium rare so adjust the internal temp to suit your taste.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    A friend of mine in LA clued me in to Tri Tip.  Now that I've found a local store that stocks them regularly, I cook them quite a bit.
    I've even marinaded them before in a worcestershire, garlic mix.  I cook them like a steak. Medium rare on the inside and a nice crust on the exterior.  Remember, slice it across the grain in thin slices, DO NOT slice with the grain.

You'll be fine.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Reverse sear works well for me. Here's what I do: http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Another SoCaler here, grew up cooking and eating tri-tip. Very much agree with reverse sear, cook it like a big steak. 

Alternatively, do what I've been doing lately an cook it Travis Style. Between the beef, the jus, and the onion I can ask but guarantee you will be the victor. 

Tri-tip is a delicious and underutilized cut, but it can be tough as nails if not sliced correctly. I strongly recommend serving with garlic French bread (preferably sour dough) if at all possible.

Have fun, post pics, and enjoy!

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    http://www.eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html

Santa Maria tri tip recipe.  You must use oak for smoke. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I grew up on  tri-tip and agree that the reverse sear works well, slice across the grain.  In Central Cal, the 'Home' of tri-tip they cook over red oak.  I don't get to fancy with tri-tip, just a simple rub, maybe put some sliced garlic in pockets made with a pairing knife.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot