Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Please Help Mold

Hello Everyone,

I've had my egg for years now and have never experienced what I've seen in the last couple weeks. On two separate occasions I've opened my egg to find a yellowish mold growing on the inside of the egg, grate and other tools like a scraper which I store inside the egg. Is this harmful and why is it happening all of a sudden? I cleaned the egg last week before a cook and came back tonight and the mold was back.

Any ideas?


image.jpeg 151.6K


  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,865
    Moisture and non-use. After shutting it down, leave a small gap in the adjustable vents so some air can pass through(make sure the charcoal is fully extinguished).

    To clean, just let the egg preheat for a while. Burns right off.
  • DawnlDawnl Posts: 228
    Have no idea why it happens, came back from two week vacation to mold.  Wiped it off with vinegar then fired her up.  No more mold.
    Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
  • Thanks guys! I'll start leaving some of the vents open to see if that helps.
  • Also, you might want to lose the brush or clean it as well. The handle looks to be wooden, so it is not being cleaned in a clean burn. Good luck - but venting is the answer - or use it everyday. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,451
    I always let the Egg burn for 10 - 15 minutes after taking off the food, before shutting it down, especially after a low and slow, where there is a lot of fat and stuff stuck to the grid. .  Gets rid of all the food particles which can form mold when sitting around for a while.  Saves doing a clean burn to get rid of the mold.  Also makes it easier to clean the grid - like a self cleaning oven.
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
Sign In or Register to comment.