Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cast Iron PS

Has anyone used one yet? Saw it today at my local dealer. Seems like a nice option to be able to sear steaks or go indirect with the same accessory.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,873
    Do you have access to a picture?
  • i saw this once for a large. 

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• I don't have a pic. With legs down it had a ridged surface for grill marks.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,873
    NM. I found it here. Not too bad of a price considering how much the regular PS costs.
  • That's the one

• Wouldn't the CI PS feel hotter taking it out?

Legs down, it is essentially a grill pan radiating heat to the gasket.

I do think added durability is good, but for $100, I would go for something from CGS.

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,571
    That is a cool idea.  Just another option:

Combine that with a raised grid and it will serve the same purpose.  Standard grid + griddle+raised grid.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,029

They want $169.95 for the one for the XL.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Seems like it would get so hot that the seasoning would wear off and the temp would be much harder to control. The XL would be a tad on the heavy side as well. In the end, I am not sure it would be very useful. Would be good to hear about some actual cooks with one.
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    as jeroldharter suggested, I had the dual side bayou classic griddle.  One side was flat finish.  The other side was rib finish.  After six months or so of use, I had to pick a side as it was just to hard to keep both sides properly seasoned.  

t ACGP, Inc.
  • Hmmmm....  That's something I never considered.  Thanks for the input.

• By "the temp would be much harder to control" I meant that the cooking surface on the cast iron PS would be really close to the flame so dome temp would be pretty meaningless. You could use an infrared thermometer but you would have to open the egg to take the temp. You would have a major hot spot in the middle of the PS above the flame. Plus the cooking surface would be way down there so managing food would be awkward especially if any flare-ups are occurring around the edges (where your arms would be).

If a cast iron PS has virtue it would be durability but it would be really heavy for a BGEXL.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,386
    @jeroldharter ; Dropping the cooking surface wouldn't be a problem, at least on an XL.  The CGS spider drops my CI grid into the fire ring which I use for steaks, etc.  For doing quick flips for steaks it isn't a problem.  Definitely raised grid is more pleasant to work on.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,548
    I am with Jeroldharter, CI can retain heat and radiate it. So if you are in need of adjusting temps, SOL. Neat concept. Dont know if I will buy one.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Having used a cast iron 13" cast iron griddle on a spider in place of a PS out of pure curiousness I found that the cast iron griddle did not maintain the low temps like the ceramic PS did. In my opinion for low and slow indirect it wouldn't work as well as the ceramic options.