Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Probe Wire Holder

I was giving my new CyberQ pit controller a workout this weekend and realized I needed a way to keep all the thermometer probe wires centered over the legs of my plate setter to protect them from the heat.  I usually just hold them while closing the lid but I figured there had to be a better way...

I realized I could attach a magnet to the lower lid band on the grill to help me hold "something"  I took some #12 electrical wire, JB Weld and a round magnet and created the probe wire holder shown below.  Works like a charm.

BTW - 8 lb Pork Shoulder towards the end of an the cook is what is setting on the grill.  It was nice sleeping through the night while the pit controller worked...

z

imageimage
BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very creative. =D>

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Great idea, thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I made a couple more for my two brother-in laws today.  Probably not good enough to count as a Christmas gift...

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Great idea; I think you've started a trend!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Good call. I wrap the wire in some aluminum foil too. Neodynium magnets would work well.
  • Looks like a great idea.  What's the verdict on the CyberQ. 

Albion, PA
  • @HorseMover The CyberQ is a great device. It has a pit probe and three meat probes. Easy to configure for cooking to regulate pit temp. I cooked two spatchcocked chickens at 350 followed by an overnight 16 hour pork shoulder at 230. Worked flawlessly. It was great to sleep all night.

I bought it for the ability to monitor cook status from my phone or computer. Configuring the networking was ROUGH and I am a full time IT guy. Finally figured it out the next day. Overall I'm glad I bought the device and look forward to future overnight cooks.
  • BakerMan said:
    @HorseMover The CyberQ is a great device. It has a pit probe and three meat probes. Easy to configure for cooking to regulate pit temp. I cooked two spatchcocked chickens at 350 followed by an overnight 16 hour pork shoulder at 230. Worked flawlessly. It was great to sleep all night. I bought it for the ability to monitor cook status from my phone or computer. Configuring the networking was ROUGH and I am a full time IT guy. Finally figured it out the next day. Overall I'm glad I bought the device and look forward to future overnight cooks.

I am new to this but it looks like a cool addition.  I go back and forth because in some ways it feels like cheating and I almost enjoy the tinkering and monitoring but with a crazy hectic schedule it could come in handy.  Would be nice to run the kids around all day Saturday and come home to a nice treat.  How does it work from your phone...is there an app that you use?
    Albion, PA
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    edited September 2013
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    edited September 2013
    For some reason I could not get this text in the post above after four tries. I used to feel the same way but I got tired of feeling like crap the day after an overnight cook because my Maverick would wake me up because the pit temp was low or because I would wake up every hour or two to look at the Maverick because it wasn't making noise. My wife convinced me to buy the pit controller. It was nice sleeping through the night my first cook. The CyberQ has a built in web server you use to view the status of the pit and three meat probes. You configure the device to work on your local wireless network and give it a dedicated IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.33). Once you get it configured you just connect to the web page with a browser (on phone or computer) the view status or change alarm temps.
  • BakerMan said:
    For some reason I could not get this text in the post above after four tries. I used to feel the same way but I got tired of feeling like crap the day after an overnight cook because my Maverick would wake me up because the pit temp was low or because I would wake up every hour or two to look at the Maverick because it wasn't making noise. My wife convinced me to buy the pit controller. It was nice sleeping through the night my first cook. The CyberQ has a built in web server you use to view the status of the pit and three meat probes. You configure the device to work on your local wireless network and give it a dedicated IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.33). Once you get it configured you just connect to the web page with a browser (on phone or computer) the view status or change alarm temps.

Thanks!  I appreciate the explanation.  This is something I will consider for sure once I get a little more experience under my belt.
    Albion, PA