Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Fire ring question?

Just cleaned out my dealer installed Large BGE by pulling out the fire box and fire ring for the first time.  I noticed the fire ring does not go down far enough to fit completely plum with the fire box.  There seems to be about a 1/2 inch or so gap between the two.  Is this normal?
·

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    As long as it sits flush with the fire box I believe it is normal.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • That's the problem.  The fire ring is not actually sitting on the fire box.  the curvature of the BGE keeps it from resting on the firebox and sits about 1/2 inch above it.

·
  • Here is a picture of the gap
    fire ring.JPG
    640 x 480 - 110K
    ·
  • It looks upside down to me.  The legs of the place setter fit in those 3 long, flat grooves.  Does it fit correctly the other way?
    Los Angeles, CA
    ·
  • That doesn't look right to me.  I just checked mine and it sits right on top of the fire box.  Also, mine does not have the cutouts on the bottom like yours does.  It looks like your  fire ring is to big or maybe the egg is out of round, but in either case I would be very careful using the egg as I would think that the expansion from heat would cause a problem.  I would contact your dealer If I were you.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    That definitely looks different than my fire ring...
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • It's upside down. Just flip it the other way. Problem solved.
    NW IOWA
    ·
  • From the BGE website

Los Angeles, CA
    ·
  • It's in upside down, easy fix...
    ·
  • +3 it's upside down

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

·
  • +4, it's upside down.

·
  • When did the fire ring start coming with those square cutouts?  I don't see anything like it on the BGE website.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Yep, it goes down just find the other way around, which makes sense, except for the instructions say that the small rounded notches on large, medium, small eggs should be up, not down.  On the XL egg they should be down. 
    bge.JPG
    640 x 480 - 183K
    ·
  • Dunno Whiz but mine has the notches. I bought it 3 months ago or so. I use them for the platesetter legs if I want the setter lower. Don't use them if I want it a little higher.
    Southern Indiana
    ·
  • Dunno Whiz but mine has the notches. I bought it 3 months ago or so. I use them for the platesetter legs if I want the setter lower. Don't use them if I want it a little higher.
    Cool, I reckon!
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • DfishelDfishel Posts: 104
    I have an XL and you have it upside down. The cutouts are for the plate setter.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,649
    New fire ring for the Large came out in Fall 2012. First post I recall seeing with the new ring was jfm0830's in Jan 2013: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1147020/my-2nd-large-has-arrived-pix-observations-a-question
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • awmawm Posts: 177

I had the same problem. The directions make it confusing cause it does say the curves need to be up. I called BGE and they said they havent canged the wording in the directions for the newer egg. They said the new fire ring has the cut outs for the plate setter to go in.

·
  • jmcnutt5jmcnutt5 Posts: 74
    edited September 2013
    I had the same concern when I bought mine about 4 months ago.  Everything in the instructions and the videos on their website make it seem like it goes in with the round notches up.  BGE needs to update their instructions for the new fire ring. 
    ·
  • I got my large BGE for Christmas last year and my fire ring had the notches for the plate setter. I remember the directions saying the round notches should go up. It fit better with the round notches down so that's how I installed it.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,298
    jmcnutt5 said:
    I had the same concern when I bought mine about 4 months ago.  Everything in the instructions and the videos on their website make it seem like it goes in with the round notches up.  BGE needs to update their instructions for the new fire ring. 
    Same issue with my new medium.  I reread the instructions several times thinking it did not make sense, but went and tried it anyways.  When it didn't fit, I just flipped it over.  Plate setter fits nicely in the notches. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Yeah I suppose common sense should have prevailed for me here.  I thought there was an off chance that by it not fitting it was sealing up the sides for better airflow or something... anyway problem solved, case closed.

Thanks Eggers!

·