Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My first two weeks on my Big Green Egg (pic heavy)

First off, a very big thanks to the posters on this forum! The content on this forum is fantastic and I found an answer for just about everything.

I've had my LBGE for two weeks and thought I'd post some of my cooks. I still have a lot to learn, it's been a blast so far.

After delivery I discovered that my BGE had this underbite:
Called the dealer and they told me about loosening all the bolts and realigning the band, after a few attempts it got better. The dollar test showed I had a good seal. They also came out and did the dollar test and said I was fine.

Ok, so first up was a beer can chicken on my very clean BGE! The chicken came out pretty good, nice and juicy, but didn't have the golden brown crispy look I had seen from others. 

Next up...Some chicken wings, cooked direct. Oh my GOSH! They were amazing! Very crispy on the outside and so juicy inside!

Next up a nice big 1.5 inch T-Bone steak. This was my first try doing a reverse sear. Came out really great. Next time I plan on shortening the 1st phase and doing the searing part a little longer.

Next up Lamb Chops, also reverse seared and this time came up perfectly! My brother in law still can't stop talking about it:

Next up Ribs! Here I totally cheated. I did 2 hours indirect at a low heat, and then cooked direct here for 30 minutes. Next time I plan on following the 3-2-1 rule. The family was in a hurry that day...But still, the best ribs I've made ever!

Pizza. The BGE makes the best pizza! This was my 3rd pizza, in the session. I had initially the legs down on the plate setter and the pizza wasn't cooking so sell underneath, I turned the platesetter around for the 2nd pizza, and it was much better, my 3rd was the bomb. My mistake was also that I didn't give the pizza stone enough time to get really hot. 

Thanks to all!

Terry

Comments