Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy day boredom

Options
Baked out the new Rutland gasket and the rain made me delirious...I think.  First time I got her up this high.  It's somewhat like taking your babied Corvette over 100mph for the first time.
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Been there. I've also seen it drop suddenly to just below 200, only to realize it had actually gone all the way around and then some. Good times!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    I was warming mine up one day. I had it up to about 300 and walked away for a few mins. When I came back it said 200, I thought the fire had gone out. I was getting ready to open it up when I saw the air rushing out the top so I put the daisy wheel on and saw the temp start dropping back toward the the 700 mark. It must have taken off when I walked away, and was upwards of 1000 when I caught it. That is the only time I have ever been able to get it that high.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Brent, just as a matter of record for others who may read your post, that high temp won't phase the Rutland. Just be sure you let the Permatex cure for 24 hours without the need of heat to cure. At 600 and above you may temporarily sense an "off smell" which is any exposed Permatex, but it is harmless and goes away quickly. Otherwise if you are so inclined the Rutland doesn't red line until 2,200 degrees and by then you will have had other issues to deal with! Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

Ron, thanks for the info.  Installed the gasket on Friday and baked out toay.  Had no smell of Permatex that I was able to detect (maybe I can't smell).  haha

The Rutland was actually as cool as a cucumber when the egg reached 750. 

Hope all is well.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.