Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on pulled pork. (Turbo)

Options
I turbo, foil and butt box ( having always been told the last two are not needed). They always came out the same. Today did not foil ( just didn't want to mess with it) and when they hit 200 pulled off and pulled. Also note this was two 4lb'ers ( always have done single 7 lbs). Ok here is the question: today's pulled but very hard to pull, took lots more effort than ever before. Now it was very good pulled pork product when finished. I did use Butt Rub, mustard, and more ButtRub. Nothing added when pulling pork as was seasoned fine. Just couldn't believe how hard to pull and would not think not foiling or buttbox the problem. But I did not do them. Thoughts
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Mickey,  Guess I have to disagree - I think the foiling stage keeps the juices in the meat better than not to, thus making the butt more tender. Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Did you let them rest a while before pulling?  Mine usually end up in a cooler because I finish early, however I've done a couple that finished on time, just let them sit on the counter for 30 - 40 minutes and they pulled just fine.  I take them to at least 205 - maybe they needed to cook a little longer?  I feel like I'm giving advice to the Master.
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey,  Guess I have to disagree - I think the foiling stage keeps the juices in the meat better than not to, thus making the butt more tender. Ron

Ron you could be right. It tasted just fine but a bear to pull.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @Mickey - I have never foiled but have found that a higher temp made mine easier to pull. The last couple have been pulled around 205-210 I have ended up with about a golf ball sized chunk that wouldn't pull on a couple. Let em rest for about an hr with a loose foil tent and it will usually pull like a low and slow. I cook at 325 straight thru

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey - I have never foiled but have found that a higher temp made mine easier to pull. The last couple have been pulled around 205-210 I have ended up with about a golf ball sized chunk that wouldn't pull on a couple. Let em rest for about an hr with a loose foil tent and it will usually pull like a low and slow. I cook at 325 straight thru

My turbo is at 350

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I did a 4 pounder the other day that I was in a rush to get done cooked first hour at about 275* dome then let it rip to about 400*  dome for the rest of the cook .  I've bumped plenty of butts up to the 400-425 region to finish but never for 3/4's of the cook.  No foil, no cooler, very little rest (10 minutes) on counter.  Wasn't "fall apart" pulling, but was still a very good finished product.  Think it was my best bark ever, just not an easy pull.  

Very similar experience Mickey,  It was just something I was trying to see if I could get off of work and have pulled pork ready by 7 p.m. for football games and post-basketball practice nights this winter.  I put the butt on at 3:10 and was serving by 7:20.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mickey
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @Scottborasjr I feel this on had the best bark yet as well. Foiled always had good bark but this was better.

• Village Idiot
    Options

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Both times the finish was late, the pull was a bicep builder. I think the foil and rest makes all the difference on the pull. The taste has been the same - just what you note. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Today I started with an 8lb and end up with a 5lb and 3 lb after trimming the fat cap and slicing though a vein of connective tissue.  The 3lb did not want to pull, so I chopped it up.  the 5lb section came out like normal.  Cooked at 250 - 275 with no foil.  The 3lb piece seemed much leaner.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.