Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Charcoal set up for fire

Several people have asked me how I set up my fire using my Stoker. I start off putting large pieces on the bottom to allow air to come through the holes then I filled to the top using smaller pieces and layers of chips and Allmond wood pieces I put cooking oil on a paper towel, turn on the Stoker then I lite the towel, when some of the wood catches I put on the platesetter and close the lid I only use mesquite lump charcoal
image.jpg 1.3M
·

Comments

• John, glad to see your post....don't make yourself such a stranger to the forum
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • I've been doing a lot of barbecuing but I really don't have much to add to the forum. I only use my Egg for my long slow cooks and I do it the same way every time
    ·
  • I think those pics prove just how much you have to add to the forum so us noobs can learn from you.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • dweebs0r....if you check out my web page listed below, you can see several pictures of my BBQ My big difference from others on the Forum is, I only use Mesquite for charcoal and chips and wood pieces for more smoke....lots of chips and chunks ........doing it this way has been the only way on the Egg that I can get close to the real BBQ flavor that I and my friends really enjoy.......tonight I will be putting on 2, 9lb pork butts, tomorrow morning I will add to the Egg, 12 Louisiana Hot Links, made by my pork butcher, and then throw Chicken Halves on my barrel cooker.....lunch at the office 12 noon
    ·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited September 2013
    A note........You can only use large pieces of wood if you have a temperature controller. Without controlling the incoming air the pieces would ignite and burn rapidly.......I use the Stoker and I love it......would not do long slow cooks without my Stoker
    ·