Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Savory Apple Tart

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited September 2013 in Sides
Savory Apple Tart: Filling 3 Granny Smith Apples, Peeled, Cored and Sliced. 1 TBSP Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. 1 ½ oz Very Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated. Crust: 2 ½ Cups (10 oz) All Purpose Flour. ½ tsp Salt. 1 tsp Sugar. 2 Sticks Very Cold Butter, Cubed. 1 ½ oz Very Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated. 1 tsp Fresh Thyme. 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary. 2 TBSP vodka. 2 - 4 TBSP Ice Cold Water. Combine apple slices and Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head in a colander and set aside for 1-2 hours. Whisk together flour, salt and sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Toss in 1 ½ oz Cheddar, thyme & rosemary. Add vodka and 2 TBSP water, gently mixing with a fork until dough comes together (do not over work. Add more water if needed). Refrigerate dough for 1 - 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough into a rough circle, ¼ inch thick. Remove top sheet of parchment. Place drained apples in center of dough and top with 1 ½ oz cheddar. Fold edges of tart toward the center and transfer tart and bottom sheet of parchment to a cookie sheet. Bake 50 minutes until golden. imageimage image image

·

Comments

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,440
    Man, that looks good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited September 2013
    damnit- I hate the Ipad formatting on here. Sorry for the giant run-on sentence.

·
  • OUCH!!  That's sharp!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Good call on the vodka. Great sneaky technique to hydrate the dough.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Wow, looks really good! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • CP92CP92 Posts: 200
    That'll do.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Laurel, MD
    ·
  • That just shot to the top of the to cook list.  Looks wonderful
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • damnit- I hate the Ipad formatting on here. Sorry for the giant run-on sentence.
    Amen, remembering to type <br>  is a pia
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·

• damnit- I hate the Ipad formatting on here. Sorry for the giant run-on sentence.

Amen, remembering to type <br>  is a pia

Does that work?

·
  • That just shot to the top of the to cook list.  Looks wonderful

This is TFJ's cook. Someone just asked me for the recipe so I posted it. We had it with pork chops and it was a great compliment to them. I like it because its an excuse to take the vodka out of the bar..........like I need that.

·
  • That looks fantastic.  This is definitely on the "must try" list.  Also, I've been looking for some good uses for Pineapple Head.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,892
    That is some right fancy apple pie! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Might just try that recipe if it tastes half as good as it looks it would be worth while.

Gerhard
    ·
  • I'm going to specs as soon as I leave the chiropractor.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Made this last night and it was a huge hit. Thanks! Cooked the Naked Whiz stuffed pork tenderloin recipe to get started. Family happy!
    ·
  • cool. glad you enjoyed it. I'll pass it along to TFJ

·
  • No bacon? WTF?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·