Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breasts

Charlie
Charlie Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked chicken breasts both with and without the bone, using Stubbs Chicken marinade. I cook them at 350 dome temperature, and have tried the following cooking methods:
1) directly on the grill
2) using a plate setter
3) using a raised grill [p]I cooked them to 165 internal. My problem is that no matter what method I use they come out dry. Any suggestions?[p]Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Charlie,[p]Try brining them and then cooking to 160.
    Just brining will help a lot if you prefer 165 pull temp.[p]I cook mine at 350, using a heat deflector.[p]
    Steve

• Charlie,[p]Yep, breasts are hard to keep from drying out for sure. You could try lowering the temp a little. Better yet, bring them for up to an hour in:[p]1 cup kosher salt
    2 quarts cold water
    1 Tbs rub of choice[p]Mix until salt and rub (if used) is disolved. If you want, you can marinate them after brining. I suppose you could even add some of the marinade to the brine. Please note that brining will change the texture. Some people do not like the texture. [p]Of course, you could always move to thighs like a lot of competition teams.[p]Good luck and let us know.

• Charlie,
    I marinade mine in Italian dressing for 30 minutes or so and cook directly on the grill at 400-450. I place the breasts around the outside edge of the egg away from the hot spots. In my experience for chicken breasts hotter temp = less time on the grill = moister chicken. I cook chicken by feel so I am not sure what temp I am getting too. Also skin on is a lot more forgiving.

• Here's what I do and they come out juicy.[p]- remove all of the fat and cut the membrane that holds the tender[p]- Flatten the breast; score bottom side with sharp knife a couple of times if the breast is thick[p]- Marinate with a little EVOO, balsamic, garlic, and salt. NOTE- Too much oil will cause excess smoke and ruin the chicken
    - Or just some Dizzy Pig rub[p]- Get Egg to 450-500 degrees
    - 4 minutes on first side
    - flip for 1 1/2 minutes and then close both dampers and let it roast TRex style for a few more minutes
    - Thicker breasts will take longer[p]Breasts come out moist and tender everytime.

• Charlie,[p]Cook direct / use higher temp (400 - 450)
    Flip every 5 minutes[p]Best,[p]CTB

• Charlie,[p]I always buy the boneless skinless breasts from WalMart and I cook them direct with the grid at regular height on 300 for about 24-25 min. I flip them halfway. If you're used to cooking chicken in the oven, 25 min doesn't seem like it would be enough but it is. They will be the juiciest chicken breasts you will ever put in your mouth. Try marinating them in McCormick Grillmates Marinades. Thats what we had for dinner tonight.[p]Happy Grillin
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Cooking at a higher temp will help keep the chicken breasts moist. 450 for boneless breasts or 400 for bone-in. However, I would only flip once. Opening the egg reduces moisture content. Flip once after 12-15 min for the boneless or 20-25 for the bone-in.[p]The best thing I have found to keep the breasts juicy is a thin coating of sour cream. Olive oil or butter works, too, but sour cream seems to work best for me. Regular or light sour cream is fine. The fat-free is worthless for this purpose. You need some fat. My second choice would be to rub them in olive oil.
  • KevinH,[p]Thanks - I use the olive oil / will try the less flips.[p]I see you are in Atlanta / Engineer... you are GT? (like me).[p]I hope GT beats NCS tonight.[p]Best,[p]CTB

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Charles,[p]Yes, I just got back from the game. Bummer.[p]I'm GTHawk on the Hive and tailgate at AMC. Was BEE '92 and MSEE '94.
  • KevinH,[p]I am in Franklin (near Nashville) Tennessee.. GT BIE 74. The GT alumni association came up here 2 years ago - told us this would be our year in football, stick with CG, etc. [p]But, this is terrible. I feel too sick to eat off the BGE.
    The mood in Atlanta must be horrible.[p]Sorry you had to watch that mess in person!
    Someday it will be better.[p]Best,[p]CTB