Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at APL's Short Ribs with Fleur De Sel (pics)

This was my big labor-day cook, and I'm just getting around to posting it.  The recipe is in his Serious BBQ book, as well as online in more than a few places.  See for example here:

The recipe calls for two plates of beef short ribs, each about 5 lbs.  I called around and had a tough time finding these.  The closest I could get was a 9-lb plate:

As you can see, plenty of fat (perhaps too much).  I didn't trim it, which may have been a mistake given the end result.  I pretty much followed the recipe to the letter.  The first step is applying the mustard and rub:

Then it's on the Egg for 5 hours at 250.  I used hickory and apple for flavor.  

Here it is off the Egg and foiled, about to be wrapped.  I have just applied the braising sauce:

It went back on the Egg for another hour at 275.  This was followed by a rest for 45 minutes, then another light dusting of the rub, and followed by a finishing step on the Egg (w/o foil).  Here's the plate just off the Egg at the end:

And sliced and tossed with the finishing sauce:

These were OK, not great.  The flavor was fantastic, but there was too much fat in the end result for my liking.  That may have been the result of the cut of meat, or not having it on the egg initially for a long enough time, I'm not sure.  The recipe was for 5 hours, and perhaps I should have left this larger plate on longer.  

These were also fairly chewy. Not tough - very moist and tender, but not melt in your mouth like I would have preferred.  Of course I've never done these before so I don't have a point of reference.  The whole family loved them but I'm just like the rest of you and my own worst critic when it comes to things cooked on my Egg.  

I'll probably try these again someday but it was a good amount of work.  I'd need to be convinced it was going to be worth it.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Looks like a good cook, but it's not on my list because of the fat. Short ribs are really, really fatty all the way through, so cooking in a hunk like that would not allow the inside fat to render. A better technique, I would think, would be to cut between the bones. You'll still end up with stringy meat; that's the nature of the beast. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Humph
    Humph Posts: 14
    I am actually trying the recipe but with smaller short ribs that have been separated tonight. My wife usually braises them but wants me to try this recipe.
  • Humph said:
    I am actually trying the recipe but with smaller short ribs that have been separated tonight. My wife usually braises them but wants me to try this recipe.
    Good luck!  Let us know how they turn out.
  • Humph
    Humph Posts: 14
    I will, where is the best place to buy Fleur de Sel? I see many online options but wanted to pick some up at a store.
  • Humph said:
    I will, where is the best place to buy Fleur de Sel? I see many online options but wanted to pick some up at a store.
    The only place I found it was at Whole Paycheck... err, Whole Foods I mean.  
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Looks very high end.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited September 2013
    I had this dish prepared by APL himself at his summer pop-up in Hollywood. It was a single huge bone with a huge slab of meat attached and it melted in my mouth. I also saw him prepare it on the Jimmy Kimmel show and a lot of fat had been trimmed before cooking.

I've never posted a photo on this site before and I have a good one. How do I post from iPhoto or Photobucket?

I tried but got a blue box with a question mark. That won't post as a picture.

Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They look great!  It is definitely a fatty cut of meat.  I like them but my wife doesn't care for them so because they are too fatty.

Judy- to post a pic from photobucket copty the "Direct" link, then come back here and click the picture button on the top right and paste.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited September 2013
    OK, I'm going to try another time with other APL pics from that event.

Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks like you got it!  ;).  Those beef ribs look insane!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Looks like you got it!  ;).  Those beef ribs look insane!!
    Insane? Exactly one month later and I'm still reliving the taste and the tenderness.
    Judy in San Diego