Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bacon wrapped Turkey Legs

Had my first adventure with wrapping bacon around yet another meat form. This has become an obsession for me. I must say, that this was a delicious combination and the turkey was extremely moist as well. 
Here's the story: 
4 turkey drumsticks 
7 lbs of thick cut bacon 
A nice pork rub

We started with a basic bacon weave, and a 12x12" weave got the job done (16 slices).

imageNext step was the Pork dry rub, which we applied moderately to the outside of each drumstick.  This is my own mixture, but a traditional recipe.
We cooked the indirect at 240 for 2 hours, then when at 160 internal temp, cranked it up to 350 for 30 min to crisp up the bacon.
To serve, we carved them and served them with bacon and turkey slices.  It was perfect.  I recommend this one. 

imageHere is the end result.  

photo 3-1.JPG 675.9K

Comments

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Anything wrapped with bacon is awesome. Good looking cook
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,091
    Wow...those look heart-stoppingly delicious!  Did you leave the skin on the bird?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.