Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessory outside storage

Options
My wife and I are trying to clean out our garage, which is where a lot of my eggcessories currently are. We are looking something I can store these items in, including the coal and wood chips, outside. We need something that is waterproof so that the metal won't get rusted. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I picked one of these up at Lowes.  Works well, but not completely waterproof in a real heavy rain.  Solved that problem by using my BGE cover, which fits perfectly over the top half (don't cover my Egg any more).  Now watertight, and keeps everything dry.  
    Options
    Thanks. We are looking for something that is a little nicer than that, maybe not plastic or a thicker harder plastic. I use those for my work and they fall apart pretty easily.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I have a big deck box / small shed I got the same weekend as the egg for $197. It's plastic, and waterproof, but I don't store charcoal in it because the temperature differential in the winter causing condensation. imageimage
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    When I stored stuff outside, the eggsessories were not an issue as they tolerate rain and moisture, lump does not. As @williamadamsesq notes the lump will pick up humidity, it stays in the garage. Usually have 10-15 bags on hand so it would kinda fill the shed/deck box anyway.  
    @Tjcoley - have a cabinet very similar to yours, it sits in a full 8'X12' garden shed, acted as a barrier to keep the critters from licking the spooge on the BBQ grids and tools. Worked very well, although mine was not as neat as yours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I made my own out of cedar to match my pergola. I roll it against the house when I don't need it next to the grill area during big parties. 

I keep charcoal in the garage, but I can get it year round so I don't have more than a couple bags. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My barrel... I'm selling it though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Joeltown
    Options
    Solson do you have your specs on that? It looks rather simple to build. Is it water proof?

Others thanks for the advice on the coal.
  • cdthomas23
    Options
    X2 on Joeltown's questions. If it is waterproof, I would love to have the specs. I just need for accessories; I have other means to store my lump.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @Joeltown & @cdthomas23 sorry for not getting back to you yesterday. I do not have any sketches or plans for the rolling cabinet, I made it the size I thought I would need. I can go measure it if you would like.

It is not completely waterproof, but if you put a concrete or stone top on it that would help.

I think I talked about the measurements and waterproofing in a thread a couple months ago. I will try to dig that up to help you guys.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.