Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help building a table from Naked Whiz website

Options

Hey all,

I currently already have a wooden table but it needs refinished and I think i'd rather build a new one with a different style. The table that caught my eye was on the Naked Whiz website - page 21 - by Paul L. He used the cement board over 2x4 framing. I can't find any other information on that style of table so I'm hoping some people can pitch in with some ideas. It will be for an XL. If I could get in touch with Paul L that would be great so I could get some feedback and to see how that table has held up to the weather conditions.

I've googled as much as I can on cement board (Durock, Wonderboard, etc...) and I cannot find the pre-stuccoed backer board anywhere. If necessary, I will stucco it myself which I've never done. I read where a vapor/moister barrier is a must to place it over the 2x4's.

I haven't decided what kind of top i'll do yet, but it will probably be some sort of tile with minimal grout lines.

Thanks a million for any feedback!

Comments

• BBQPHX
    BBQPHX Posts: 7
    Options

I built an outdoor kitchen with HardiBacker 1/4" board.  This is a steel stud base which would not work well for a cart application-it's solid as all get out screwed to the wall and deck but would be very flimsy otherwise if you're rolling it around your yard.  If it's stationary I would recommend the metal framing-termite proof, won't burn or rot and all you need is a pair of snips to cut it. I did not use vapor barrier.  Stucco isn't hard to do for a small project like this they sell premixed stucco patch at the home improvement store with texture built in or you can try to get all fancy with it if you want.

If you're leaving it out in the elements you want to stucco and paint and seal your granite with good sealer-I like the BulletProof line for stone.  This is pretty much under a covered patio so it maybe gets a little rain on the right side a couple times a year-it is Phoenix after all.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    That is gorgeous. Why do I live in Michigan?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That is gorgeous. Why do I live in Michigan?
    I ask my self the same question but Why do I live in NY.  I need to move down south to have a nice outdoor experience.

Garnerville, NY
  • BBQPHX
    BBQPHX Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks guys!  I moved from Chicago in 2002 and while there's things that I miss the weather certainly isn't one of them.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Here is one in Cave Springs that they put tile on top of a table
  • stripedegg
    Options
    Go try and find a piece of remnant granite. It'll be worth the effort and last forever. Outdoor tile can be really tricky and nearly impossible to match, unless you buy extra, but granite is a one time purchase.
    The Nest Whisperer
  • reaperjr18
    Options

Thanks all.

The table will not be moved much at all, but will need to be moved every now and then. I understand it will be heavy but we'll never move it with the egg in it. I will not be putting wheels on. I'll build in some sturdy handles to the frame to help facilitate any moving.

I think I'll go with a 2x4 pressure treated wood frame. Apply a vapor barrier and then screw on the Durock. I'll put Durock on the top as well and then take Stripedegg's suggestion and find some leftover granite and place over the top. We have a place down the road that might have some.

I imagine I'll have some beginner's issues with taping the seams and edges of the Durock and then applying the stucco finish, so it should be interesting.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I am in Jacksonville, FL so we get some serious storms throughout the year. Thanks again.

• gravitydrno
    Options
    Here is the "table" I built for mine.image
  • gravitydrno
    Options
    Poured concrete counter tops, easier to get a more custom look and still do it yourself.

• dweebs0r
    Options
    What a beauty!  I wish I had the skills.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).