Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey with pics

So I found this turkey for .99 cents per pound. I used the amazingribs.com recipe. It was "enhanced" so I didn't brine it like I wanted to as most of my readings suggested it would be too salty. Anywho I injected it with some butter to help amp up the flavor. Long story short it turned out visually impressive but I was woefully underwhelmed with the flavor. I detected little to no saltiness in the meat whatsoever. Breasts were a little dryish to me. Thighs were good and moist. Took them to 160 and 170 respectively and let them carry over another 5 degrees before carving.
image.jpg 2.6M
image.jpg 2.2M
image.jpg 2.2M
·

Comments

• Bird looks great, sorry to hear the taste wasn't what you were looking for.
    Austin Egghead did one on some incredible root veggies, with a parted out bird I suggested she use. Her technique produces a moist bird with some flavourful veggies and gravy.
    This has become our go to for turkey. 

If the bird is small enough, you can also spatchcock it.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    What temp did you go with? I've done a 9 lb turkey on my small and a 22 lb one on my large for thanksgiving and they both were so moist I will never cook one in a oven again. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    I was cooking at 325 @Solson005. Thanks for the link skiddy.
    ·