Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Detroit style pizza

Not many pics but here are two shots of my pizza.imageimage

Comments

• Nicely done!! That looks tasty.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'll take a piece or two..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very nice. Can you share some details? Dough, sauce, cheese? What type of pan? Looks like you nailed it.
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Here are the details. I change up the cheese sometimes. I like mixing provolone and mozzarella and use either white cheddar or brick on the edges. This sauce was stuff I made from san marzano tomatoes. My favorite sauce is http://www.donpepino.com/don-pepino-pizza-sauce.asp

Here is the jets recipe: Not sure if it's to thick. This is in a 10x14 blue steel pan.
    Pans: http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/

Flour (100%): 429.49 g | 15.15 oz | 0.95 lbs
    Water (65%): 279.17 g | 9.85 oz | 0.62 lbs
    IDY (.3851%): 1.65 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.55 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
    Salt (1.75%): 7.52 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.57 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
    Total (167.1351%): 717.82 g | 25.32 oz | 1.58 lbs | TF = 0.15

Another recipe. This one is not as thick and with a higher hydration.

Flour (100%): 273.04 g | 9.63 oz | 0.6 lbs 2 cups + 3 tablespoons
    Water (75%): 204.78 g | 7.22 oz | 0.45 lbs ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon + 2 ½ teaspoons
    IDY (0.55%): 1.5 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.5 tsp | 0.17 tbsp ½ teaspoon
    Salt (1.5%): 4.1 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.73 tsp | 0.24 tbsp ¾ teaspoon Total (177.05%): 483.42 g | 17.05 oz | 1.07 lbs | TF = 0.1218

I used King Arthur All Purpose flour, and Fleischmann’s Instant Dry Yeast (IDY), which is a bit different than those packets of “Active Dry Yeast.” Both should work fine, but Active Dry Yeast requires that you mix the yeast with water and let it activate for a bit. Instant dry yeast does not require that step, but it also should not make direct contact with water. Dissolve salt in water, add flour, sprinkle IDY on top. Mix on lowest speed (with dough hook) until incorporated then continue on this speed for an 8 min knead. Let the dough ball rest for 20 mins.
    Put about ¾ tbsp of oil into your pan and brush it all over the bottom and sides of the pan. You can spread it around with a paper towel, but you might need a bit more oil, as the towel will soak some of it up. You want a thin layer of oil all over the pan.
    Oil up your fingers and remove the dough ball from the mixing bowl. The dough should be pretty wet/soft/sticky, but should stretch easily. Stretch the dough all across the bottom of your oiled pan, reaching all the way into the corners. With oiled fingers, you shouldn’t have too much trouble with this. Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a towel, and let the dough rise for 2.5 – 3 hours (it will double in size, at least).

Assembling the pizza:
    Preheat your oven to 475 degrees, with one rack placed on the lowest level in your oven.
    Punch down (deflate) the dough and peel back a bit off the sides of the pan. Paint more oil/shortening along the edge of the pan, right along where the dough meets the pan. As the pizza cooks, the dough will rise more, and this extra layer of oil/shortening will help when removing the pizza from the pan after baking.
    Toppings:
    Toppings will go directly onto the dough BEFORE any cheese/sauce, to prevent too much burning or charring. Use whatever you like!
    Cheese:
    You will use two kinds of cheese for this pizza recipe: white cheddar and standard (low-moisture, part skim) mozzarella. The white cheddar should be piled up around the edges of the pizza, all the way to the edge, overflowing along the sides of the pan. This will provide the baked-cheese crunch on the crust that is representative of the Detroit style. I purchased a 2 lb. block of Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar cheese from Walmart. I grated the cheese myself and ended up using nearly half of the block on one 10X14” pizza. Pile up the white cheddar along the edges and spread some over the rest of the pizza, but ONLY white cheddar should be used along the edges. Fill in the rest of the pizza with regular shredded mozzarella.

• Tjcoley
    Thanks. I've got 2 of the smaller blue steel pans. I've come close before to replicating Jet's, but not quite there. Yours looks right on. I'll have to give it a try.
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow- that looks amazing.  I'll be honest I have not heard of this style before but it sure looks good. 

What size egg do you have?  On a large it seems that a 10x14 pan would hang over the plate setter on the corners.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    What makes a pizza a Detroit pizza (asked by an ex-Detroiter)?
  • Tjcoley
    What makes a pizza a Detroit pizza (asked by an ex-Detroiter)?
    Detroit style is a square pizza, deep dish, with an airy, chewy crust, crispy on the edges and bottom, from being baked in an oil coated, blue steel pan.  Almost fried, and the corners are the best.  The original pans were used to hold auto parts in the factories.  The one above done by @Smokeyj is a great representation.  Interestingly, Little Caesars has just started selling Detroit style pizza.  
    Wow- that looks amazing.  I'll be honest I have not heard of this style before but it sure looks good. 

What size egg do you have?  On a large it seems that a 10x14 pan would hang over the plate setter on the corners.  

I have a large. I cook higher up direct on the top grate of my two tier swing rack. Just becareful not over cook. You could add a deflector.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Detroit style? Move out of the neighborhood, file bankruptcy, grab a nine down on 8 mile, steal a pizza.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow!! Looks amazing. Never had a Detroit style pizza, but now I want to try one. Do you have the 10x14 pan or 8x10? Do you recommend seasoned or unseasoned? Will my wife catch me if I try and sneak one more thing in the kitchen? The last one was rhetorical. Bookmarked so I don't forget about this idea.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smokeyj
    edited September 2013
    Thanks.
    I have one of each. This one was the 10x14. Even though it is seasoned my first pizza I did stuck but it could have been user error, not enough oil. Now I could probably go without adding oil and it wouldn't stick.
    I like the seasoned one, but you could save few bucks and get unseasoned if you don't mind the smokey kitchen when seasoning.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Nice!! My wife just got us a couple of ceramic cookie sheets from pampered chef. Should be perfect for this. Thanks for the idea!
  • smokeyj
    If anyone wants the PDF I found with instructions shot me your email or can I just post it? Not sure where I got from but I don't think it's copy right material. Some guy I think on pizza making forum made this PDF up, if I remember correctly. Its for the thinner version. You can use either amounts for the recipe just nice to have pics of the process.
  • I love me some Jet's! I haven't been able to get anything to come close at home. I'll hit you up for the PDF recipe. It looks fantastic!

Don't go basing your Detroit style pizza opinions on Little Caesars Deep Dish, it's just not that great, although much better than the regular $5 hot and ready.  Jet's is definitely my favorite. I just checked their locations and WOW have they grown out of Michigan! 
  • henapple said:
    Detroit style? Move out of the neighborhood, file bankruptcy, grab a nine down on 8 mile, steal a pizza.
    Where's the carjacking?  Ya gotta have a carjacking in there somewhere!
    Flint, Michigan
  • This looks amazing; I would love to get some more information on this (and this is coming from someone who lusts after the commercials for the Little Caesar's pizzas..I'm a sucker for all pizza)

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS

• It does look very good, very much like a focaccia bread we make except with more toppings.

Gerhard
  • smokeyj
    Two_Down said:
    This looks amazing; I would love to get some more information on this (and this is coming from someone who lusts after the commercials for the Little Caesar's pizzas..I'm a sucker for all pizza)

Thanks all.

Message me your email address if you like and I can send you the documents.

• Thanks for the recipe Smokey!

We took my Mom to Buddy's Pizza this summer and the Detroit syle pizza was as great as I remembered.  I gotta give it a try on the egg!

Flint, Michigan
  • Thanks Smokey - I might get a chance to try these this weekend if I can pry myself off the couch between football games.

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS