Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JACCARD is NOT a dirty word!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
Tonight I replied to henapple about how to tenderize a tough piece of meat. Obviously it got buried and never questioned. I have used the inexpensive JACCARD for several years now and we love what it does to tenderize beef, chicken and even pork. Just don't go nuts stabbing your meat as the 48 blades do wonders. Off to bed now, but I'll be glad to answer questions tomorrow!image
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Our tenderizer has many spikes. The jaccard, if I'm not mistaken has blades instead. It probably does a better job.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    No reason to question it when it works. Only time I would think it is dirty is if you forgot to wash it. ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No reason to question it when it works. Only time I would think it is dirty is if you forgot to wash it. ;)

Or when you like your steaks med rare and you push the fecal bacteria from the outside of your steak to the middle with a tenderizer. Not for me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    Options
    As a matter of record I disassemble and thoroughly clean my JACCARD after every use. There are 3 bolts holding it together and the whole process takes about 2 minutes. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @RRP, I agree. Like any tool, if you use it incorrectly it can do more harm than good. 
    I seldom use mine on steaks or other rare/blue cuts, mostly because those cuts do not need to be tenderized. 
    Schnitzel/cutlets, pork loin chops (not tenderloin), chicken/turkey breasts and even eye of round that may be marinated and will be cooked and held at 140º minimum for 10 minutes or so are improved with a Jaccard. 

As Cen-Tex notes, pushing the bacteria from the outside into the meat requires cooking to higher bacteria killing temps, which is why retailers are required to clearly label their meat as knife tenderized, basically a commercial Jaccard. I often wonder if the process of salting/brining the surface of a steak or cut of meat and then letting it sit in the fridge for 12 hours or so draws bacteria into the meat?

Love my Jaccards, but they must be used with care. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billybon
    Options
    I also love my Jaccards. Yes, I have several. I mainly use the Jaccard to tenderize large quantities of alligator meat. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    billybon said:
    I also love my Jaccards. Yes, I have several. I mainly use the Jaccard to tenderize large quantities of alligator meat. 
    Over the past few years I've used my Jaccard on a lot of things, but never on alligator as there are not many in my neck of the woods, don't think they like it when the river freezes over....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • billybon
    Options
    billybon said:
    Over the past few years I've used my Jaccard on a lot of things, but never on alligator as there are not many in my neck of the woods, don't think they like it when the river freezes over....
    We have more than enough here in Florida. I have harvested them for the last 24 years. Each year I fry up about 100 pounds at a wild game dinner. We had about 700 men at the last dinner.
  • RRP
    Options
    Which begs an answer...what does alligator taste similar too? Is it white meat, dark meat, gamey, fishy? thanks!
  • billybon
    Options

RRP said:
    Which begs an answer...what does alligator taste similar too? Is it white meat, dark meat, gamey, fishy? thanks!
    It does not taste like chicken. The white meat tastes more like a good piece of pork. It is mild and takes seasonings well. The dark meat is another story. It is a stronger flavor. I prepare it (bone in) using a two step process. First I do a 24 hr sous vide cook and then I smoke it for a few hours. It tastes wonderful and is one of the most popular dishes at our wild game dinner.