Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asian influenced protein

Options
If you have a favorite marinade or idea for something with Asian influence I would love to hear it. The family is getting fatigue with the usual suspects.

LBGE

BTFU!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

This has evolved over many years.  Little work but well worth it, keeps forever in frig if you don't use it up.  Marinade, dipping sauce I use instead of soy in all my oriental dishes.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1170250&catid=1

• Goatsegg
    Options
    Hoisin marinate- doesn't need to be exact-. This is a small recipe so you may need to increase for bigger cook.

Don't use marinate leftovers for glaze.

1/4 c hoisin sauce
    3 tbs light soy sauce
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    1 tsp fresh ground ginger
    1/2 tsp sesame oil
    Fresh or dry pepper to taste (Thai chili are best)

Marinate chicken or pork for a few hours, reserving some marinate for glaze.

Remove from marinate and grill/smoke as normal. When almost done brush with reserved sauce to glaze.

Awesome for wings.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    Options

This is good. It is best with a solid two day marinade.

Description:

Sate: Recipe for two pork tenderloins

Lay pork tenderloin on cutting board. Cut thin end pieces about 1 ¼ " and reduce thickness of cuts down to about ½” in the thickest part. Lay slices about three at a time between plastic wrap and pound down to about ¼” or 3/8" max.

Ingredients:

• ½ lb unsalted butter

• ¼  Cup Thai Chili sauce

• ½ Cup chopped onion

• 1 Cup naturally brewed soy sauce

• ¼ Cup grated ginger

• 1 Cup kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)

• ¼  Cup lemon juice

• ½ Cup teriyaki sauce

• 1 zest from 1 lemon

• 30 or so bamboo skewers

• 6 Cloves garlic (rough chop)

• 2 pork tenderloins

• 2 Tbs or more hot chili flakes

• Kecap Manis = equal parts molasses, teriyaki and soy sauce

• 3 Tbs coriander seed

• bunch  coriander/cilantro leaves as garnish

• 2 Tbs cumin seed

• 1 Tbs mustard seed

Instructions:

Soak skewers in water
    Toast coriander, cumin chili flakes and mustard seeds in cast iron pan until fragrant (pungent). Break with mortar and pestle.
    Melt butter in saucepan and cook onion, garlic, ginger and lemon zest over medium heat until onion is transparent.
    Add spices, lemon juice, teriyaki, soy and kecap manis and boil 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature. Lay pork tenderloin on cutting board. Cut thin end pieces about 1 ¼”and reduce thickness of cuts down to about ½” in the thickest part. Lay slices about three at a time between plastic wrap and pound down to about ¼” or 3/8” max. Pour ½ the marinade into a glass pan, layer pork pieces cover with remaining marinade. Move meat around so all is coated in marinade. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and marinate two days refrigerated

Skewer pork pieces. Reserve marinade. Set BGE to 325 with a flat, even bed of coals. Place skewers on grill for about 4 minutes. Look for even browning on pieces, turn and rearrange if there are hot spots. Cook for another 4minutes and check color for doneness. Any sates that are not brown and caramelized can be finished with the lid open.
    Strain marinade if desired bring to a boil for five minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you have an Oriental or Indian market in you area, do check them out. There should be lots of prepared sauces and marinade ingredients, as well as raw ingredients. There are a couple in my area, and the variety of flavors is amazing. There is a kind of Indian masala for everything.

For an "oriental" marinade, I use roasted sesame oil and rice vinegar. Typically, I'll add some chopped ginger, lemon grass, and a bit of really high quality soy sauce. Maybe a little fish sauce. Salt, pepper, garlic, mustard to taste. Some cheap moscato wine. Kaffir lime leaves when I can get them. A sprinkle of sesame seeds is a nice finishing touch for lots of dishes.

I really like peanut satay sauce for finishing. Ponzu is good on lots of grilled things. I've started using garam masala as an element of some of my homemade BBQ sauce. Hoisin sauce is pretty good. Coconut milk makes a nice sauce base.

Things I've found I didn't like much, or use sparingly: Oyster sauce, 5-spice powder, which includes Szechuan peppers, cloves and star anise, which I find have a really dramatic effect in small quantities, and most seaweed.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    To us, and we eat a lot of wokked meals (I use a turkey burner as the egg is simply not flexible enough) the hands down favourite for Asian style done on an egg is Cazzy's wings. 
    Super simple and good on pork tenderloins, ribs and of course chicken. 
    I boil the used marinade, reducing it to a syrup that is like candy. Truly excellent,
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hankyorke
    Options
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the ideas.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm not a purist, but I don't think you should use a "one size fits all" marinate or sauce for Asian recipes.  I would never use the same marinate for Sweet and Sour Pork as I would for Sichuan Shrimp or Negimayaki.  To me, the beauty of Chinese/Japanese cooking is the many various tastes that come from the different marinates and sauces.

But, that's just me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. I'm just idea shopping for tomorrow right now.

LBGE

BTFU!