Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket - Thanks RRP

Options

I received my Rutland gasket today and with Pandora alternating between Nickleback, Creed, Hunter Hayes, Charlie Pride, Wayne Toups and Sara Evans, combined with the detailed instructions provided by RRP, replacing the gasket was a cinch.  One of the tricks mentioned in the instructions is to place tape at 1/4 segments along the 84" long piece.  Doing so allows you to ensure that you are not compressing the gasket too much.  How slick is that!!

Tomorrow: trim and bake the gasket an RTV.

Also ordered a two-tier grate from Ceramic Grill Works today.  Thanks to NecessaryIndulg (Kristi) for turning me on to that fantastic idea.  I even splurged for a Spitjack injector while I was at it.

Thanks,

Rajuncajun

Geaux Tigers!!

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    You are welcome. The hardest part is over and your are cruisin now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nick2cd
    Options
    a few questions.  

1. that gasket looks pretty thick....do you install on the top and bottom as you do a traditional big green egg gasket?  if so, do you need to readjust your bands for the added thickness?

2.  how much does the rutland gasket cost?

3.  can it tolerate a lot more heat than the factory gasket?  is it better than going with nomex?

sorry for the explosion of questions, but i just want to be prepared when i need to do this to mine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited September 2013
    Options

1. Bottom only, normally no adjustment needed

2. much much cheaper than the felt or Nomex

3. Rutland withstands 2,200 degrees - far beyond the felt or Nomex

BTW you also have a PM

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.