Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who Likes Sirloin Steak?

I'm always looking through costco's prime meat section, and they only ever have sirloin and ribeyes. Of course I love ribeye's, but not always willing to pay prime price for them, but the sirloin's are priced reasonably, but I can't say that I've ever had them. Should I bite the bullet on this one?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• I like a sirloin. not my favorite but still good and usually cheap

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no need to be skidish toward sirloin - it is very tasty and reasonably priced.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    A good thick cut of sirloin can be very enjoyable.  I'll buy them on sale if I can find them 1.5" - 2" thick.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I prefer sirloin to make shish kabobs.  Cube it, marinade it with olive oil, worchestire sauce, lemon, garlic,etc.   Add some bell peppers, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms.  Voila.
  • @Foghorn It's not just you.  However, it's quite possible that it's just me and you.  Ribeye is pretty popular round these parts. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• I buy the prime ribeye all of the time from costco.  It is good straight up but I prefer filet or ribeye for that.  I use the prime sirloin for kabobs and stir fry.  Outstanding!

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    It's meat, right? Egg it. :D

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• We love sirloin and cook it more than any other cut.  I refer to it as a poor man's filet....lean and very tender and juicy when cooked right.  I will say I'm not a fan of too much fat or gristle either which sirloin does not have much of either.  I'll usually buy enough for a steak dinner and have some left over to reheat and slice up for beef fajitas too.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• The good thing about it, it's that it requires that you make a little effort to prepare it and turn it into a great dish... more expensive cuts only need that you don't scthem :D
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

" I'll usually buy enough for a steak dinner and have some left over to reheat and slice up for beef fajitas too."

@KennyLee, you lost me on that.  I just can't get my brain to grasp the concept of left over steak.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Well then, I guess I'll go for it. They had 5 good size steaks, well marbelized for a sirloin (hence prime), for about $30 give or take. I'll give it a go, even though I'm always eyeing the ribeye wanting that instead.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Sirloin is my favorite prime meat. It has just the right amount of fat, IMHO. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Foghorn said:
    I like sirloin better than ribeye. But that's probably just me.
    Sirloin is a much more flavourful cut than ribeye

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I would rather have flat iron.. How do you get one tender?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2013
    henapple said:
    I would rather have flat iron.. How do you get one tender?

Pretty easy actually..I use a 48 blade JACCARD that I bought at Amazon.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited September 2013
    Ribeye, porterhouse, tenderloin, even NY strip and T-bone.  
    Village Idiot · is that your list of steaks in order of preference or just the ones you like in general?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • @dweebs0r Just in general.  I'd hate to try to rank them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Foghorn said:

I just can't get my brain to grasp the concept of left over steak.

I usually serve it with my leftover wine.  
    :D

I grew up on 1" sirloin steaks, lovingly grilled to a medium-well over gasoline-soaked Kingsford bricquets!  
    Despite that, I still really like sirloins.  I do like the occasional ribeye, but sometimes the excess fat just gets to be too much for me (please don't take my man-card!)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Love sirloin! We marinate and grill a lot of them. Slice it thin. I've seen prime, but I've never seen one that I thought had marbling worth paying for. If they look good, go for them!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I love sirloins too. To me, the biggest difference is that you must not overcook a sirloin. They are definitely temperamental to cook. In my opinion, they get a funky taste to them if you go a degree over medium. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I buy more sirloin than ribeye or fillet. If it is steaks on the menu then I go ribeye, otherwise I use the sirloin steaks cut up in all kinds of stuff, including fajitas.

There is always some good sirloin from Costco in my freezer.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

•   Foghorn said:

" I'll usually buy enough for a steak dinner and have some left over to reheat and slice up for beef fajitas too."

@KennyLee, you lost me on that.  I just can't get my brain to grasp the concept of left over steak.

@Foghorn Totally understand, but hey, you gotta eat the next day too, right?  I can think of a lot worse than sirloin steak fajitas with cheese, sour cream, guac, and some seriously hot salsa.  It's all about planning ahead when I'm at the store! 
    :D

LBGE

• Nope.  Ribeye, porterhouse, tenderloin, even NY strip and T-bone.  Sirloins have always seemed a bit tough to me.
    Curious, how are you cooking them as far as doneness?  My experience has been the opposite and the majority of the sirloins I've cooked on the Egg you could almost cut with a fork, or a butter knife for sure.....really close to a filet.  In fact the last ones I cooked, the wife thought they were filets. 

LBGE

• Sirloin is my favorite. Tenderloin is my least.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For the money, sirloin can be a good buy....lean, healthy. 

But there are all types....sirloin, tenderloin, top sirloin, bottom sirloin....it can range from chewy meat to very tender.  Personally, I avoid it unless it's not injected (wally world) and it's got some pedigree - CAB and choice or better.  You can tell a lot from meat if you look at it and squeeze it.  If it's squishy and soft and looks right, it can be a great steak.  Always feel up your meat so you learn how the texture and taste relate to each other.  The meat don't care. ;)
    edited September 2013
    I'm with @nolaegghead. There is nothing better than feeling up your meat.

Edit: Teaching SWMBO to do it is quite the time saver as well. Leaves you time to do other things instead of being at the store.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @eggcelsior - you've got a good hand on meat phrenology teamwork.  I commend you sir. ;)
    I think I'll give it a try. I do squeeze it if it's packaged. It seemed close to a filet like consistency.
    Dunedin, FL