Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger Table Owners????

Anyone having buyer's remorse?  I am thinking of getting a "large" challenger cart for my XL. Just wondering how the owners feel about them after their purchase.  They sure look great but are there other choices that are more value for the dollar? Doesn't seem so....

Long Island, NY

Comments

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Anyone???  Since I don't have a local place to see them just want to see how the owners feel about these...

Long Island, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @hondabbq and @gatabites both have one. Hopefully they'll chime in.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

Sorry Radamo. Ive been off for a few days.

I was in the same boat as you as there is no dealer in Canada to see or touch one. I too came to the forum to get input. If you can, buy direct. Talk to Michelle Funk. I bought mine direct and saved a ton of cash.

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. Its built well. Quite sturdy. Holds a lot of my EGGsessories and other things. Saves me from running in and out all the time.

Ironically I sent an email off to Challenger this morning regarding the cover I bought. I am not happy with it. I guess its not really the covers fault. it has "venting" but it still takes on a parachute effect. If I hadn't had the cart up against the house it would have blown away for sure. I have never had an issue with any Gasser BBQ I have had in the past, but I do with this one. It is on the light side which doesn't help, and I personally think its too short for the table.

I bought it because it was $40 cheaper than a guy that makes them up here for egg tables. I am sure he could have made me one for the Challenger. But I opted to save the $40 and now this happens. I will wait to see if they can or will do anything about it.

I don't regret getting the cart in the least. Dammit I just remembered I need to put my BGE decal on it.

• radamo
    Thanks hondabbq!  I have a dealer about an hour from my home.  He was helpful on the phone and they do deliver in my area.  More than likely I will buy from them. Is yours the Aqualon (sp?) cover?
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • hondabbq
    Yes it's the Aqualon cover.
    I have been in contact with Challenger today. I had to send a pic of the tag at their request. It is a little breezy today and I also took a video of the cover almost blowing off. They responded saying the cover looks too large for the table. I have a 48" table and the ya says 48". They say its too small. And will probably send me a new cover. The production department had already left for the day when I responded to them.

I will follow up when I know more.
  • radamo
    It sounds like they are going to handle it so that is good.  I am not sure if I will get a cover.  But I am in NY so we have both hot summers and cold winters.

Long Island, NY
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I am also looking at purchasing a large challenger table (for my large) and will be following this thread. I thought Challenger tables were manufactured in Atlanta?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited August 2013
    I've had my XL in a large challenger grill cart for almost a year now. No complaints and definitely no buyers remorse. The table top is holding up perfectly and I use the heck out of it. Likewise, the cabinet as a whole has been put through its paces with no issues, still looks great and is a testament to the build quality of the cart.

I keep her covered when its not in use with the aqualon cover and it protects it nicely. No issues with it blowing away. It's nice and snug against the cart which keeps the wind from getting under it.

Go for it!

MP
  • hondabbq
    Mud Pig said:. It's nice and snug against the cart which keeps the wind from getting under it. Go for it! MP
    They said mine was too big for my table. I don't understand how that could happen. Im going to check the old post to see your pic of the cover again to compare to mine.
  • Mud Pig
    edited August 2013
    hondabbq said:

They said mine was too big for my table. I don't understand how that could happen. Im going to check the old post to see your pic of the cover again to compare to mine.

I bet it is slightly to big. I have to be careful when I put mine on to start it on all four corners before I slide it down the cart. If I don't I can't get it to go over the whole cart. It will be on one side, but impossible to get onto the other side.
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    image I have had mine for a couple of months and love it. I don't have a cover but everything inside has stayed totally dry despite some heavy downpours. I thought the top would get too hot in our intense sun but it hasn't been a problem (it does get pretty hot).
  • Mud Pig
    ^^ Wow! Now that's a table. Nice!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    We just became a dealer for them here in Pittsburgh, I've already moved 2 in 2 weeks. Great quality, yes a bit pricey but if you own a no maintenance cooker, why place it in a wooden table that will need to be maintained?? image
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • hondabbq
    Well just got an email back from Michelle at Challenger. They will be sending me a new cover as they think the one I have was mislabelled.
  • hondabbq
    Mud Pig said:
    I bet it is slightly to big. I have to be careful when I put mine on to start it on all four corners before I slide it down the cart. If I don't I can't get it to go over the whole cart. It will be on one side, but impossible to get onto the other side.
    Not the way my current one fits. It just slumps down and slides all over. I can pull one end and the cover will just slide off. I must have the wrong size.
  • Patsfan
    Patsfan Posts: 1
    Challarenger table is the bomb. Lots of storage, great casters give it mobility to move BGE into the lanai during frequent Florida summer storms.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    They look industrial to me, no style whatsoever.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Shoot- guess i will have to take your christmas present back
    Greensboro, NC
  • hondabbq

How does that comment address the original question?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hondabbq said:

How does that comment address the original question?

It doesn't. Someone has sand in his vagina.
  • hondabbq

I received my new better fitting cover. It came to me via UPS. I wasnt home when they tried to deliver and a note was left from the driver that $22.27 was owed for brokerage. I was told there would be a UPS shipping label in the box to return the old cover at their expense. I contacted Challenger to see what to do about the brokerage charge and they said they would reimburse my Visa for it if I cut the cheque.  I left a cheque the next day and she left the cover. When I opened the box there was no shipping label to return the old cover. I contacted Challenger again to see what they wanted to do about getting the cover back to them. They sent me an email this morning stating that because it is in Canada that it wasn't worth shipping back and for me to keep the cover as a token for all the trouble.

If this is the kind of customer service for just a cover that they don't even manufacture, what would it be for something like the carts.

Hats off to Challenger for making a great EGG table and for their heightened customer satisfaction. I recommend anyone who needs an EGG table to buy a Challenger.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I've had mine since March 6th, 2012 and love it.  No problems so far.imageimage

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• radamo
    Glad they took such good care you.  My challenger cart is on order and should have in a few weeks.  So excited (except about putting the EGG in).  Not looking forward to taking my XL apart to load it in.  LOL...

Long Island, NY
  • I wish they had published pricing, or am I missing it somewhere? I am considering purchasing a 76" double large cart. Does anyone have one that they would not mind sharing what they paid?
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • radamo
    If you use Challenger's website to locate a local dealer you can get a quote... I was not able to find a price list anywhere.
    Long Island, NY
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    edited September 2013
    @Dlk7, nice set up! =D>
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    hondabbq said:

I received my new better fitting cover. It came to me via UPS. I wasnt home when they tried to deliver and a note was left from the driver that $22.27 was owed for brokerage. I was told there would be a UPS shipping label in the box to return the old cover at their expense. I contacted Challenger to see what to do about the brokerage charge and they said they would reimburse my Visa for it if I cut the cheque.  I left a cheque the next day and she left the cover. When I opened the box there was no shipping label to return the old cover. I contacted Challenger again to see what they wanted to do about getting the cover back to them. They sent me an email this morning stating that because it is in Canada that it wasn't worth shipping back and for me to keep the cover as a token for all the trouble.

If this is the kind of customer service for just a cover that they don't even manufacture, what would it be for something like the carts.

Hats off to Challenger for making a great EGG table and for their heightened customer satisfaction. I recommend anyone who needs an EGG table to buy a Challenger.

That kind of tells you how much they have in the cover.

• Tspud1
    radamo said:
    If you use Challenger's website to locate a local dealer you can get a quote... I was not able to find a price list anywhere.
    If a single large in middle sells for $2600, the double should be a little more. Do you have to get on hands and knees to get items out from under the eggs?
  • I just talked to Glenn @ Challenger about ordering a base model (standard colors, no options) 76" table for my XL.  He quoted me a few dollars under $3K, taxes in.

I was planning on driving right to the factory to pick one up but the fact that it'd take two weeks to build (I'm ready to leave tomorrow), and the $3K price tag has got me hesitant.

I'm looking around at other options.  I just have a hard time justifying $3000 USD for a table.  I'm not a cheap person either, as a rule.  I'm just struggling with the cost/benefit ratio on this one.
  • Tspud1
    Call me and see what I can do for you, check your message