Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Saved By SWMBO

Options
It was a wild ride, but the payoff was delicious.

Wednesday:

1900: Cleaned and vacuumed out egg
1930: Placed my RO lump into the firebox the exact way EW suggests on the naked whiz site. I have a medium egg, so filling the firebox up by hand is not a difficult task. While building the lump biggest chucks on the bottom to smaller chips on top, I also mixed in 4 oak chunks at N/S/E/W and a handful of Jack Daniels chips on top of the finished pile of lump.

1815: Bath and Bedtime for our 2yr old twins.

1930: Netflix with SWMBO (Our ritual right now is an episode of 24 followed by an episode of Arrested Development).

2345: SWMBO falls asleep and I go back out to the egg and light her up. Once the starter cube has burned out and I had a little glowing patch of burning coal in the front center of the pile, I put the platesetter in and got the egg steady around 230° dome temp.

Thursday

0100: Put on my 12# packer that had been hard-fat trimmed and rubbed (S&P and BB) the night before and had been sitting in the fridge. (I also have to trim the brisket down to 15" so it will fit in my medium. For this brisket, I trimmed off about 1.5" from the point and about 1" from the flat.)

0145: Brisket was stable. BGE wireless therm said BBQ temp was 217, and dome temp said 240ish. I was please so I sat down on my patio and played a couple games of risk (Lux) on my phone just to make sure temp was locked in.

0300: Went to bed since everything seemed fine.

0640: Alarm goes off for work, check wireless therm... Brisket was at 140 and egg temp was 180! Uh oh.

0715: Got the egg back up to 240 and told Meredith her mission for the day.

0750: Left for work, leaving the temp control in the hands of SWMBO.

She texted me throughout the day, and had to adjust the temp twice. Once around 0915 because the wireless thermometer was reading 245, and once around noon when it was reading 210.

1645: Brisket had reached IT of 203° and she pulled it, wrapped in foil and towel, and placed it in our cooler.

1810: I get home from work to meet her and the kids, my dad/mom, and my brother/SIL who are in town from New Orleans.

1845: Slice the brisket and we all feast. SWMBO also made baked beans and potato salad.

She did awesome keeping the long cook alive and the result was great! Everyone loved it.

I don't really know why the temp crashed. It wasn't falling when I went to bed. As for it rising and falling during the day, I don't know how much she was opening and closing the vent so it's hard to know about that.

Either way, here's the sliced meat...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Nice teamwork.

Long Island, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks perfect Chris.  You and your wife did a great job! 

If you don't mind me asking...where are you getting packers in GA?  I can only locate them at specialty butchers and they are $$$.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Looks good and sound like you have a "keeper".
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Brisket, 24, and arrested development = nice.
    Dunedin, FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice work Chris!  Let me know when you want to set up that wife swap we talked about some time ago?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job Chris, anytime I have tried to keep the egg under 250 for an extended amount of time I end up chasing it. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Springram
    Options
    A controller such as a DigiQ II, will do wonders for your overnight low and slow cooks. Not cheap but really takes the mental pressure off those type of cooks. If anything, you might even get an upward creep in the temperature once all of the charcoal and wood is ignited hours after you start.

On the other hand, I am now cooking at higher temps with no larger than 10 lb. briskets and smoke the during the day. The Travis Method is good for speeding up cooks also.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • bccomstock
    Options
    Nice looking brisket! 
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • EmandMsDad
    Options

just a thought...for low and slow I always light in 3 places (12,4 and 8 o'clock) to prevent the fire from wormholing

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

just a thought...for low and slow I always light in 3 places (12,4 and 8 o'clock) to prevent the fire from wormholing

Wormholing...I like that ;).  I hate it when my fire breaches the space-time continuum.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options

Looks perfect Chris.  You and your wife did a great job! 

If you don't mind me asking...where are you getting packers in GA?  I can only locate them at specialty butchers and they are $$$.  

I use T&T meats here in McDonough and he charges about $3.50/lb.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Nice job Chris, anytime I have tried to keep the egg under 250 for an extended amount of time I end up chasing it. 

Okay good. Glad I'm not the only one!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of that happened. The fire trail led to the edge of the fire box and died out... There have been numerous times that the temp locks dead on and doesn't move at all. Oh well. The meat was still incredible.

Even the microwave reheat for the guys at work loved it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    every now and then, I have found good packers (Excel brand) at wally world and Sam's.  usually 2.something/lbs. I worked for Cargill Meats (Excel is one brand) and know how the buyers try to get the best product they can...