Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick temp monitoring question

Options
First let me start off saying I have checked both maverick probes and my thermapen in boiling water and all are right at 212.  I have been noticing that when monitoring internal temp of a cook (most recently a boneless leg of lamb), I see my temp get near my target on my maverick and then open and double check with the thermapen and the thermapen seems to always read a bit lower.  I do sink the maverick probe up to the bend but is there some residual heat on the rest of the probe (past the bend) that is affecting the temp displayed?

Do others see this difference? 

Long Island, NY

Comments

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

My experience is similar to yours.  I don't know what causes it, I just do what you do--use the maverick to get very close to where I want to be without having to be openign the lid while cooking, and then open the lid for final verification (or two) with the thermapen once maverick is close--assuming it is the most accurate of the two devices.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Use the Mav to get close, the Thermapen to make decisions. If you take multiple Thermapen measurements, you will prolly find the Mav is close to the average. The Thermapen is so accurate it will display quite a wide temp range, by moving the probe only 1/2" or so.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The maverick can read higher because heat can get carried down the metal to the thermistor near the tip. This is common among these types of probes. While it's less convenient, a spot check thermometer will always be more accurate.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    @Eggcelsior... that was what I was hinting at above.  Seems others have the same experience, so that makes me feel more confident in the approach.  So far it has been working well. 

Long Island, NY
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    My probes consistently read HHH or LLL, so I'm good.   

>:P
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE