Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Salmon and Asparagus

Options
Grilled salmon and asparagus tonight.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. I cook that dish once a week for my family. Do you ever brine the salmon? I tried it and it makes a big difference.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    No I have never brined. We usually do salmon as a hot smoke.  Tell me about brining.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    The brine is simple salt and water. 2 qts water and 4 tbls kosher salt. Dissolve the salt and brine the salmon for 15 minutes. Rinse well and cook as normal. I cook 400 raised direct for approx 15 min. Really adds a depth of flavor (sorry for the food network comment).
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I will have to try that.  My grilling salmon (as opposed to hot smoke) is exactly the same, raised, 400, 15 minutes.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Looks great. I'm going to try this over the weekend. Do you guys add any wood chips or chunks? Do you ever use planks?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Does 15 minutes of direct grill time dry the salmon out?  How thick are your salmon steaks?
    Long Island, NY
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Looks really good.  Two of my egg favorites.  I've never tried brining, but will have to now.  I usually use alder planks on my salmon.  Like it better than cedar.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Grilling the fillets, skin side down and without turning doesn't dry them out.  Our prefered method is hot smoking, at 180 for an hour.  That takes overnight preparation though.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great doc!  What did you season it with?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

Looks great doc!  What did you season it with?  
    Webber Garlic & Herb.  Works pretty well with fish.  The left overs were a hit with the The Spouse's fellow teachers.