Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

planning a little butt

Options
Skeeter Hawk
Skeeter Hawk Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hiya,[p]I'm going to try my first pulled pork this sunday. I just brought home a starter butt at 3.87 lbs. I was hoping to begin the cook around 9:00 in the am and finish up sometime before 10:00 pm. Is this reasonable? Anyone have an estimate on how long it will take to BBQ that size butt?[p]thanks,
tim

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Skeeter Hawk,
    Sounds like you did your home work OK. I would guess it will take 11 hrs or maybe 12 at the most. You'll get a fair amount of meat from that 3.8 pounder too. Enjoy.[p]Tim

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I have done MANY a butt on this grill and it has never taken more than 4 hours.[p]Ya,ya,ya, I KNOW for some reason people have this theory that if you don't cook it for 10 years or so it won't be good. :)[p]Look, here's my secret. Get the coals REALLY HOT, (just follow me)[p]COMPLETELY COVER the red hot coals with NEW, UNLIT COAL,
    and IMMEDIATEly put your butt on. Close the bottom to 1/8 open (almost closed) and do the top the same way.[p]What happens is , there is plenty of heat in there but the NEW coals act like a "buffer" between the butt and the red hot coals.[p]Check on about every 30 min or so, and you will see that the butt will have a beautiful golden color with the outside so soft you can't stand it. 12 hours??? I doubt it.[p]My sincere guess is that if you try it BOTH ways you will see the 3/4 hour deal is just as good as the 12 hour deal.[p]just my opinion.

• Unknown
    Options
    By the way, [p]I KNOW this must go against every bone in your body but I promise you it works great. After its done we chop,chop,chop it up and make fantastic Q. We chop it up, put in a pot on the stove, mix in the "secret" sauce and let it simmer (SIMMER) for about 30 minutes.[p]Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Hey if you think I'm crazy that's fine, just let us know how it turns out Ok?[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    john,
    Well, doubt all you want. I am sure it is safe to eat but....[p]
    Why not try the long method and compare it to what you have been making and see what you think.[p]Be sure to sort the lump first, its part of the experience.
    (just kidding on that part) [p]Tim [p]