Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Char Grilled Filet

I did these T Rex style with Char Grill Seasoning.  Was pretty tasty......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleveland, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,582
    I don't believe it.  Looks horrible.  Glad you were able to choke it down.  :))

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• AquacopAquacop Posts: 455
    Wow, I just threw my spatchcock in the disposal, beautiful cook. 
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 729
    Dang, hungry again. Looks good.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Looks awesome! What kind of seasoning/rub did you use? Google search didn't pull up too much..
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    WOW! I've always been a reverse sear kinda guy, I think you just converted me.
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • With regard to the sear stage--did you use cast iron griddle or a cast iron skillet for that part of the cook--I did not see any grill grate marks so curious as to how you cooked first stage?
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,739
    Wow that does look incredible.  

I didn't have any luck googlin' for "Char Grill" rub either.  Char Crust perhaps? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,754
    Aquacop said:

Wow, I just threw my spatchcock in the disposal, beautiful cook. 

Why?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fiver29fiver29 Posts: 386
    I apologize for the late responses.  Here we go.....

FLbobecu said:
    Looks awesome! What kind of seasoning/rub did you use? Google search didn't pull up too much..
    That was my bad.  Its Char Crust.  I used the Roasted Garlic Peppercorn.

With regard to the sear stage--did you use cast iron griddle or a cast iron skillet for that part of the cook--I did not see any grill grate marks so curious as to how you cooked first stage?
    Nope.  No Cast Iron griddle or skillet.  I used a heavy dose of Char Crust on both sides so it took the place of any grate marks.

porta said:
    WOW! I've always been a reverse sear kinda guy, I think you just converted me.
    I do both methods.  I used the T Rex for this one since my grill got up to about 700 before I knew it!   Couple other tips:  
    • I like to keep a thick cut steak out at room temp at least 1 hour, and no more than 2 hours before I sear
    • I seared these 2 minutes per side (I timed it with a timer) with the lid OPEN.  I have found if I sear with the lid down I get more grey matter in the steak
    • When I remove the steak and let it rest after the sear I close the bottom vent the whole way, but leave the Daisy Wheel OFF.  It takes about 10-15 minutes for the grill to come down to about 400.  Then I put the meat back on to roast.  I continue to leave the daisy wheel off and open the bottom vent just a smudge to allow airflow.  This is a good time to add hickory, mesquite, or whatever firespice you like!
    • I let it roast 10 minutes, then flip every 5 minutes until done.  I use a thermapen to know just when to pull it.
    Enjoy!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cleveland, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]