Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

drip pan

I have been noticing a lot of posts saying to put something between the drip pan and plate setter I was was wondering what is the benifit of doing this as of so far I haven't done this but I'm willing to try 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 625
    It keeps your drip pan cooler. Therefore not buring the drippings or the pan. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,537
    The plate setter conducts heat into the drip pan until it reaches the same temp. While the air in the egg is lower, the plate setter is much hotter to due it's proximity to the lump and the type of heating it is experiencing. Any dripping that fall into the pan will burn due to this increased heat, which can give unwanted flavors to the meat.

Putting in a spacer creates an air gap which insulates against this heat transfer(like double pane windows work). This helps prevent the burning of the drippings.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,767

Just hit your local hardware store and pick up 4 steel 1/2 inch nuts.

Perfect spacers that will never wear out.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Or small rocks or aluminum foil balls...I use copper t's from HD...