Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do for charcoal during the winter?

2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Fill the truck bed up and hope you don't run out
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Order online.  BBqguys or Amazon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Forgot to add the photo on my post above. Stock up when you can
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  •  

we are going on a cruise in February and may be driving from MN to FL and back.  If we do, I need to figure out where were need to stop in St. Louis on the way home to load up.  If not, I want to arrange a group by in MN next year.

A small detour to Yellville, Arkansas will take you to the home of Ozark Oak.  So far the best charcoal I have used.  I picked up 40 bags for $3.90ea right from the source....
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I'm down to 240 lbs of Rockwood, 60 lbs of BGE, 120 lbs of Weekend Warrior, 60 lbs of Dragon Breath, 60 lbs of ForestLump, 30 lbs of Ozark Oak, 20 lbs of Royal Oak, 10 lbs of Halls Hill Black Cherry, and 10 lbs of Halls Hill Shag Hickory.

I can't wait to get another pallet of Rockwood so I feel safe for the winter.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• @stlcharcoal, where are you located in St. Louis?
    Our charcoal is warehoused in Fenton, but it's available at about 20 retailers around STL.  Just check out the website for all the locations.  If you're planning on stocking up, call the shop ahead of time (or email me), to make sure there's enough.  Some of the smaller stores only keep about 5-10 bags on hand at a time.  We do not want anyone running out!
  • Fred19Flintstone I wasn't aware GFS had lump. I don't shop there very often. $14 for 20#. I'll have to check this out!

• This is my first winter with my LBGE, like you I started hoarding - have 14 bags in garage for when COSTCO stops selling for the season.
    Ottawa winters are long and brutally cold, intend to be bbqing throughout it all to shorten the season.

I have been egging in Ottawa since 2007 and I cook regularly throughout the winter with no problem.  You can usually count on Rona selling Maple Leaf lump throughout the year if the stock runs a bit low.

Thanks for the info CC - I will visit there if I run out.
  • AREgghead said:

we are going on a cruise in February and may be driving from MN to FL and back.  If we do, I need to figure out where were need to stop in St. Louis on the way home to load up.  If not, I want to arrange a group by in MN next year.

A small detour to Yellville, Arkansas will take you to the home of Ozark Oak.  So far the best charcoal I have used.  I picked up 40 bags for $3.90ea right from the source....
    That's about a 200 mile detour!  We'll end up driving right through St. Louis. 

Jen

Lakeville, MN