Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I replace my felt gasket?

And if so, with what?  Did a number of high temp cooks, but let it rage to clean up after an 18-hour brisket and I finally had the melted gasket.  

It doesn't seem like I'm losing a whole lot of heat, however, I am a little nervous about the way (klink) it closes without the gasket.  

Could I/should I just use something like this?

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Strong recommendation for a Rutland gasket.  Pretty easy to install.  Contact RRP (Ron Pratt) here.  Very reasonable price and real clear instructions.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2013
    You do NOT want the 95w-6. That is a rope. You want the 95-6 which is the flat braided. What size egg do you have? Most people have failures using the Rutland adhesive so you will be throwing that tube away and buying Permatex Ultra Copper for the adhesive.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    You do NOT want the 95w-6. That is a rope. You want the 95-6 which is the flat braided. What size egg do you have? Most people have failures using the Rutland adhesive so you will be throwing that tube away and buying Permatex Ultra Copper for the adhesive.
    PM'd you as well.  I have a large
  • Another PM coming your way.  I also have a large.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    if it is within a year bge will usually replace the gasket fir free usually.