Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

I Found a Butcher. What Should I Buy To Test Him?

What should I buy to test the quality of his product? I would really like to stop depending on Kroger & Wally World for my meat.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,392
    see if he has or knows what a tritip is
    ·
  • Porterhouse steak.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • see if he has or knows what a tritip is

I am east of the Mississippi. What is this tri-tip you speak of?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,392
    google santa maria tritip, delicous cut of beef, nearly impossible to find up here in the northeast, only the best shops know what im asking for. if he is good he will know what it is or atleast try and find it for you, they mostly get sent to california
    ·
  • I go to a butcher that has antibiotic free pork which seems like a bonus since his meat seems generally nicer than the grocery store's.  I am a Ribeye fan so try that, if the steaks aren aged they will be more tender and tastier than what you buy at the grocery store.  Ageing is one of the reasons meat is cheaper at the grocery store because the longer the meat is aged the more weight is lost.  I am not religious about it but try to support him with my business whenever possible.

Gerhard
    ·
  • Freddie, sirloin. That's where you will see the biggest difference in quality. See if you can get sirloin flap from him.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,864
    Fred....
    Pelosi 3 Boobs.jpg
    324 x 355 - 63K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • In the east, the primal is called a bottom sirloin as I recall, the tri-tip is cut from that primal. Great if cooked rare to medium rare and carved across the grain. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Ask him about a flatiron steak....
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,361
    edited September 2013
    There is only one butcher in town where I have ever seen tri-tip.

If you are willing to pay a fortune, look for a "spinalis dorsi" more commonly known as ribeye cap. According to many, the best part of the ribeye, and somewhat difficult to cut away cleanly.

·
  • henapple said:

Fred....

My eyes!!!!!!!

If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, breaking bad.  
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,038
    Ask him to cut you some Picanha... Top sirloin cap with the fat on it.
    ·
  • henapple said:

Fred....

I just vomited in my mouth.

·
  • I was reading all the responses and noticed they all recommend beef. All that is except @henapple 's. That was just wrong!

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,397
    Buy one of everything you like. Steak, pork, lamb, chicken, hamburger and fill up the egg. Then you'll know. I have been known to try one of everything including their sausage and brats. MDSH thought it was great idea and loved it. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • MrossMross Posts: 326
    Henapple should be banned for life!
    Duncan, SC
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,419
    hanger steak

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,419
    ....or pork belly.  A good pork belly should be mostly fat.  That lean stuff is no bueno.

·
  • disturbing.............very disturbing. 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,971
    Keep it up @henapple. At this rate, Salado will either be the most offensive or greatest sight ever. I expect the best.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,864
    It'll hopefully be both...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,389
    edited September 2013
    I just went into a new butcher at lunch today and they had hanger steak for $12/lb.  Tri-tip was about the same.  That was a good enough test for me to turn around and walk out without buying anything! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • hapster said:
    Ask him to cut you some Picanha... Top sirloin cap with the fat on it.
    This.. or this:

Took my butcher 15 minutes to figure this one out. THIS steak will test the knowledge of any meat cutter. 
    ·
  • Freddie, sirloin. That's where you will see the biggest difference in quality. See if you can get sirloin flap from him.

Steve, I followed your advice and bought sirloin.  I had him cut it into 1 1/2 inch (3.81 cm) steaks.  I figure there's no way to mistake poor quality meat when it's a steak.  Cooked it reverse sear to a beautiful medium rare.  The meat just was not tender.  I've had better meat from the Kroger or Walmart meat cases.  Oh well.

·
  • Freddie, That's too bad. Find another butcher.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Fred,
    Don't give up on your butcher.  As I said in a previous thread, sirloin, to me, is a tough cut of meat compared to ribeye, loin, porterhouse, etc.  If you're going to use it, tenderize it first.

Little Steven (bless his pea pickin' heart) comes from Marmot and Reindeer country, and his notion of meat cuts is a bit skewed from the mainstream.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • Fred,
    Don't give up on your butcher.  As I said in a previous thread, sirloin, to me, is a tough cut of meat compared to ribeye, loin, porterhouse, etc.  If you're going to use it, tenderize it first.

Little Steven (bless his pea pickin' heart) comes from Marmot and Reindeer country, and his notion of meat cuts is a bit skewed from the mainstream.
    Gary, buddy you have to put your teeth in before eating sirloin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • It may be just me but I thought that was damn funny. Cracked my own self up anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • If you live anywhere near Oakland California, this is one place that should be on your list for shopping for your meat. They specialize in pork and sausages. Check out the pictures on this yelp site. They will do special cuts of meat for you. http://www.yelp.com/biz/taylors-sausage-oakland
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 694
    edited September 2013
    Go with a Cowboy Ribeye, 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick, EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic, reverse sear plate setter in legs up indirect at 250 to 105 than pull the plate setter out and crank it up to 500/550 and sear until 130 YUM!!!
    ·