Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An Egg or Not

I purchased a ceramic grill from Craigslist for $25.  It had several cracks that I am currently repairing.  I would like to know if it's a BGE or just a knockoff.  Because of the color, I wasn't too sure but it did have a BGE daisy wheel, a BGE platesetter and an ash tool that looks like it's from BGE.  It needed a charcoal grate and a lower draft door thingy but I am really interested in knowing if anyone can recognize it as a BGE.  Even if it's not, I can sell the good stuff and come out ahead but if it's an old style BGE, I'll try to match the green color when I paint it (yes, I know painting is not a perfect idea but with the JD Weld patch job, it looks kind of trashy as is).  Can anyone help me out???
Fayetteville, Ga

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not sure what kind it is but they have high heat spray paint that is good to 500 degrees. With the JB weld on that I would not go over 300 degrees.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    It looks old enough that the BGE may be a knock off of it. You got a good deal. Hope the repairs work out for you. Those are fun, my brother and I bought an old Japanese kamado a few years ago.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

Yes, that is a real "Green Egg" - way before ceramic was involved in the construction. It looks exactly like my first BGE I purchased at the Pachinko House in Atlanta in 1990. You can't get it as hot as a ceramic but it's fine for "normal" grilling/smoking. Don't consider doing pizza! As Lit said, keep the temp low. I had to fix the firebox in my old unit and I used fireplace mastic. Good luck!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Thanks for all those answers.  I think I'll pay for a more expensive green high temp spay paint since it's a real BGE.  I really bought it with the idea of trying to repair it and if repairs didn't work, turn it into a tandoori oven.  I'll post pics of the final product in a couple weeks.  I off to the mother ship in Tucker Ga to pick up some parts--maybe I can convince them to do a warranty replacement--ha ha!!
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Car parts stores have spray paint rated for over 1000 degrees.... And primer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BobsBGE
    I was looking for a green colored paint and at 1 auto parts store the only green was too bright but maybe I'll look around at others.  Thanks for that advice henapple.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Following this one. I like seeing these repair jobs. Who was the guy that painted theirs bright red months ago. He did a great job restoring his.

Good luck.  

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BobsBGE
    I just got back from the mother store in Tucker, Ga and they confirmed what Cymbaline65 said.  It is a genuine egg but was before they made them out of ceramic.  Thanks to Lit, I went to a few more auto parts stores and O'Reilly was able to order a hunter green high temp paint which won't be exactly what a new egg color looks like but will hopefully look close (I'll be keeping it right next to my XL so I know it will look different). I just finished spraying with high temp primer which should hopefully help the green paint adhere better.  Anyway, thanks again for all the help.  This is the go to forum for egging advice for sure.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • BobsBGE
    Got the old but genuine egg painted and back together.  It turned out pretty good but I've been warned not to let it heat up beyond about 400-450 degrees.  The JD Weld and the engine paint I used were both rated for 500 but the old style eggs were not as temperature tolerant as the newer ceramic eggs.  I've got it heated to about 400 degrees and it seems to be doing good so far.  Total cost to complete the rebuild including the original cost of the egg was less than $70 but I had a gasket and a thermometer from old eggs.  Here are some pictures of the final build.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Man that look's great!  Nice job.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice job, most cooks don't go over 400 anyway.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Great job!  That looks just like new in the pictures.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• BobsBGE
    It turned out good thanks to all the comments from the original post and earlier on this forum.  The paint (hunter green) is closer to a new egg than I thought it would be.  My son has already asked for it so I guess I won't be using it for too long.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • I noticed your repair here and I have a very similar egg I got from a friend.  Did you replace the bands and lower damper with new ones?  If so did they fit ok?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    sweet!

• I didn't need to replace the bands but I did replace one of the metal pieces on the front of the band.  Just went to Home Depot and got a piece of steel and cut and drilled it to fit and then painted.  I did buy a lower vent and it fit fine.  All I had to do for it was caulk around the edges.  If there are no cracks in the outside of the egg you might want to consider not painting--somebody on here left theirs the original color and now it's treated like an antique.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Thank you kindly for the information.  I'm looking to possibly blast and paint the original bands and just replace the lower vent as you did.  I may leave it in its original brown egg color  :)
  • I see you were warned about higher temperatures in yours.  Was this due to the age or because of the JB Weld repairs?  Mine is not cracked and I don't want to bust it by going too hot if that is not recommended practice.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on this forum.  I am new to the forum and relatively new to the egg but love every minute of it.  Have been smoking quite a while on other equipment but now I am selling out to dedicate to the egging lifestyle. 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    When is the first cook? Pictures are a must! Great job.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • BobsBGE
    I gave the rebuilt egg to my son and he did a first cook on it several weeks ago.  Did a pork butt and said it turned out great.  I think he's doing another pork butt today.  Another Egghead is born.
    Fayetteville, Ga