Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE lid adjustment

I assembled the lid of my LBGE, but I can't adjuit to match the eggs body... I already loosen all the screws and aligned everything, but I always end with a misaligned lid... Any suggestions will be appreciated...

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My suggestion is if it seals, it's fine.  A little over or under-bite on one side or the other doesn't mean anything.  You want a soft close and a seal.  Given many peeps on the forum go commando, I wouldn't worry about it. 

You can try racking the lid to compensate.  Look up the "dollar bill test".
  • I had a similar problem with mine. The back hinge has a flat piece with 2 holes in it.  Slide a slightly opened crescent wrench onto this surface so that you can use the crescent as a handle. While the bands are slightly loose, have someone lift the wrench until the lid settles into the correct alignment and then tighten the bands.  Worked like a charm for me and passed the dollar bill test with flying colors.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I had a similar problem with mine. The back hinge has a flat piece with 2 holes in it.  Slide a slightly opened crescent wrench onto this surface so that you can use the crescent as a handle. While the bands are slightly loose, have someone lift the wrench until the lid settles into the correct alignment and then tighten the bands.  Worked like a charm for me and passed the dollar bill test with flying colors.
    So do you loosen both bands to adjust the dome forward (dome underbite) or just the top band??
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Yeah, I had the same problem...I had the egg assembled but didn't notice after it was delivered that it had an underbite. Make sure that the bands are evenly parallel around the egg. Also this video can help:

As stated by @nolaegghead, if it seals you're fine. I spent more time adjusting the egg on my 1st week with it than cooking on it, which totally took away from the thrill of owning the egg.

Once my seal was satisfactory I started cooking and never looked back :) 
  • @CANMAN I just adjusted the top band.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Thanks to all for the suggestions... I'll try and follow the video, and let you know the results...
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Mine has a permanent underbite. My dome is smaller than my base, so when I have it perfectly lined up at the hinge and I have a 3/16" underbite at the front. I was worried about it for the first few weeks after I got the egg, but I got tired of messing with it more than I was cooking so I just left it alone. It passed the dollar bill test is all I care about now.  

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.