Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ducks

Options
I'm thinking about doing some Ducks this weekend has anybody ever cooked duck on their Egg if so what temp direct or indirect and what inturnal temp thank you in advance for any help 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    I have cooked marinated duck breast wrapped in bacon many times.
    Direct till bacon was nice and crispy....melts in your mouth.
    Pensacola,FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Domestic duck has lots and lots of fat. Remove any excess you can, and save it for frying potatos. Score the skin so the under layer of fat can render out. Have a good sized drip pan to catch the fat. Otherwise, cook much like chicken. The breasts are usually thinner, and so cook thru faster than chix.

So far, I haven't tried separating the skin from the body, and keeping the bird cold for a day to dry out, a'la Peking style. To date, I haven't had skin as crispy as I would like, and will eventually try that.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    Options

Duck breast is great rare but the rear quarter should go to 165-175*. I generally butcher them and do confit from the thigh/leg and pan sear then grill the breast. I have done them inverted on a chicken stand with pretty good results

Edit: Assuming you are talking domestic birds

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've done duck breast many times.  Start inside on the stove to render some fat out or on the egg in a CI skillet.  Then finish raised direct or, as stated above, over a drip pan w a small air space below it.  Recently did a spatchocked whole bird raised indirect w a drip pan filled w potato and onions.  Dome was350 and went til thigh was 176.

It turned out great but any potatoes after leave me unsatisfied...

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I'm looking to doing whole birds I'm kinda thinking about smoking the ducks I have done duck breast on my gasser many times I will give it a shot and will report back with photos 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Nsdexter
    Options
    I smoke it over cherry indirect 270 ish
    HFX NS