Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - Funky Taste... (At least it went away)

Options
FYI... I've seen other posts about the "new Egg taste". First cook was at 250°. Got progressively hotter on next two cooks and fourth cook was nuclear. All foods had a slightly acrid taste. After the fourth cook, the funky taste went away. Is there a coating on the Egg / grate that gets cooked off over time? Rick.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Likely you didn't let the lump burn long enough to get all of the nasty stuff off first... as you continue to cook, you have more used lump in the firebox that has already had the nasty stuff burned off... hence the taste going away with each cook
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    + 1 with what Hap said. Once you close the dome leave your vents wide open until you get about 50*shy of your target temp then adjust your top and bottom vents. At this point go have an adult beverage and wait for the smoke to burn clear. Another good sign that you are ready to cook would be to hold your hand over the top vent for a few second and then smell your hand to see if you have clean smoke. Smell good = cook Smell nasty = not ready to cook

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RickC
    RickC Posts: 15
    Options
    So lets say that I have a fire ring full of fresh lump and I only want to take the temp up to 225°- ish. How does the nasty stuff get burned off (or does it)? Maybe I've been doing it wrong for long time. My MO is to clean out the what little lump is left after a few cooks and replace it with all new. Is there a thread on "lump management"? Thanks...
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    RickC said:
    So lets say that I have a fire ring full of fresh lump and I only want to take the temp up to 225°- ish. How does the nasty stuff get burned off (or does it)? Maybe I've been doing it wrong for long time. My MO is to clean out the what little lump is left after a few cooks and replace it with all new. Is there a thread on "lump management"? Thanks...
    At 225 dome the fire is a lot hotter.  as you reach boiling temps (210) in the lump bed it burns off the VOCs (nasty stuff).  catch your temp on the way up and you can smell when the nasty stuff is gone.  it goes from campfire to pleasant.