Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket just went on the egg for an overnight cook

booksw
booksw Posts: 470
I bought a brisket at Walmart over the weekend and am cooking it tonight to serve tomorrow for Rosh Hashanah.  Every brisket I have made on the egg has been, per my family "amazing and delicious" but for me- too dry.  I think this is my 4th or 5th try.  Big difference: this time I bought it at Walmart rather than at the specialty market where it is grass fed (and 3 times the price).  I thought the specialty place was the only place in town that sold packers but I was wrong!  I have heard mixed things about the Walmart briskets but I figured I buy Royal Oak there so maybe this will work out well too. It is VERY flexible so that is supposed to be a good sign, right?  My daughter loves sitting outside with me during an overnight cook and she is finishing up her homework and then we are going outside.

Every time it is an adventure and a little different!  This one I seasoned with a brisket seasoning I bought from the above referenced specialty store- I did that last night and wrapped it in plastic wrap until tonight when it went on the grid fatcap up (heat deflector in legs up, no drip pan).  Starting internal temp: 57 degrees (I had it on the counter for a while before putting it on).  I have the temp probe in the flat- not the point (made that mistake before!).  Here we go!
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    First, Happy New Year...

Second, I think grass fed beef tends to be leaner, so less fat results in a drier finished meat... Flexible is good...

Enjoy the cook and I'm sure it will turn out great for your guests.
  • booksw
    Thanks!  I think I should look into a Digi-Q.  I am not sure how late my daughter stayed up but at 5 AM when I checked it, the egg temp had gone up to 275 and (I am pretty sure) the brisket is done.  I took it out and it is resting in foil, towel and my cooler.  My meat thermometer read 210 and I got instant reads of the flat in the high 180s and low 190s and in some places the probe went in very easily (but not in all places).  Oh and it smells GREAT.  I am not sure if I should  put it back on this afternoon to warm it up, or slice it at room temp and then warm the slices in the oven while I am making burnt ends on the grill (and use the drippings from the burnt ends to roast the potatoes).  A very similar thing happened last time I smoked a brisket and I even considered putting this one on in the morning rather than starting it the night before but the FIRST time I made brisket I put it on the night before and it almost wasn't done in time for dinner the next day.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Aaron Franklin recommends not slicing until you are ready to serve it. He suggests the meat will almost immediately dry out.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I'm sure it will be good... don't cut it till right before eating. Once you are done with the FTC, I would stick it in a pan and into a 180 oven just to keep it warm.
  • booksw
    Hapster- how long do you think you can keep it in a 180 degree oven?  Thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm no eggspert, but I think you can hold it in at 180 (or any temp above 140) all day long.  Just make sure it is well foiled so the oven doesn't dry it out.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I wouldn't cook a grass fed brisket for anything. It's a lot better for you but when I want good brisket, I "steer" clear of grass fed. Way too lean to hold up to a 15+ hour smoke.When you choose meat for bbq, the first thing you look at is intramuscular fat. You want lots of it. grass fed has virtually none of it and the fat it does have are the good Omega 3 & 6 fats. Awesome for your health but horrible tasting for Q.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • solon
    solon Posts: 25
    edited September 2013
    My Rosh Hashanah brisket (posted the other day)  was from BJ's  - came out real well.  

Good brisket for a long smoke has a nice layer of fat to melt through.  

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    @booksw ,
    Most of the Walmart meat sold in our area is injected with liquid.  This adds to the weight and ends up costing you more that it appears.  It is mentioned on the label.  I've never seen a packer brisket at our Walmarts, so don't know if those are also injected.  Was yours?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • booksw
    I no longer have the label, but I don't think it was injected.  It was a whole packer brisket- nearly 14 pounds.  It was pliable but I didn't check it to see if there was fat throughout it.  There was a pretty good layer of fat on one side.  I think I am too tentative when smoking a brisket and I don't know how to tell if it is done so I take it off and then I worry that I took it off too soon so I put it back on.  I aim to get the internal temp past 190 and then to "feel it" by probing it for "butter-like" ease or for "fork tenderness"  But I might feel butter in part of the flat but not the whole flat and then I am not sure.  I really need to SEE someone else take it off who knows when its done, OR just make a lot of them.

This one as always was delicious and the point which I made into burnt ends (simply by trimming off the fat, cutting into roughly 2 inch cubes, and tossing them back on the egg in a baking pan at about 325 for about 30 minutes) were to die for.  But the flat was dry.  Everyone still enjoyed it and raved over it.  I took Cen-Tex's advice and cut it thin with an electric knife.  I also shredded some of it at my daughter's request.  I wish I could make it really juicey throughout.  The point was moist, but not the flat.  Any advice appreciated!  I guess I need to try again...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Try tightly wrapping it in aluminum foil after it is finished (which it sounds like you did a good job in determining it was finished) and put it in a dry cooler for at least 30 minutes...preferrably and hour or two.  I did this with my brisket and it turned out loist all the way through. 

• booksw
    I am wondering if maybe I need to be fussier about keeping a pan if water in the egg at all times (and not letting the pan dry out)?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs