Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

This Wednesday begins the Jewish New Year's   We will be serving a brisket that has been smoked for 11 hours with a gravy made from short ribs and a brandy/wine reduction.  Here is stage one - the brisket which just spent last night in the BGE.  

Happy New Year!
Brisket.jpg 145.8K
·

Comments

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,956
    enjoy!
    ·
  • DfishelDfishel Posts: 104
    Great idea for the holidays!!
    Happy new year!!
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 967
    Happy New Year and enjoy! The brisket looks fantastic and I'm interested in your gravy. Do you plan on braising short ribs in the brandy/wine combo and then reducing the cooking liquid until your desired consistency? What is the alcohol ratio?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • ZickZick Posts: 171
    Happy New Year!  What a treat to have a brisket for the New Year.  Enjoy.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
    ·
  • solonsolon Posts: 25
    One bottle of white wine to 4 cups of chicken broth to 1/2 cup whiskey (ran out of brandy)

Saute short ribs (4 pounds) with a little oil, lots of onions, celery, allspice, garlic and chopped tomatoes.    Saute until onions are carmelized then bake for three hours.  

Strain and puree and add tomato paste to thicken some more. 

·
  • Looks nice dude, enjoy!

Shalom
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 967
    Thanks! Copied to a word doc for when I do short ribs next; Halloween at the latest.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
    I'm coming to your house for trick or treat!
    ·
  • Sounds fantastic!
    ·
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 456
    Happy new year
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,423
    Happy New Year...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Whiskey instead of brandy is a good trade. Happy New Year!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    Those that celebrate with you are fortunate.  Around here, brisket served by most Jewish families is an awful form of pot roast.  Not enough exposure to Texas and a properly smoked brisket. ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • bookswbooksw Posts: 234
    Solon- I wasn't as organized as you, to cook ahead of time- I am getting ready to put my brisket on for an overnight cook tonight for Rosh Hashanah dinner tomorrow night :)  Happy New Year!

Charleston, SC
    ·
    Shanah Tovah to all    Yes, Ragtop99 - I also have bad memories of overcooked pot roast being called brisket.   Love the BGE.  
    ·