Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

white smoke

Options

Just bought a DigiQ DX2 and am getting ready for a low and slow pork shoulder this weekend.  But I'm confused.  I have always brought the BGE up to temp and waited for the white smoke to end before putting the meat on.  I have done this with the bottom vent wide open for a few minutes while the fire gets going, and have gradually closed the vent as the temp gets up, and the smoke lessens.

I'm not sure how this will work with the DX2 installed.  Will it allow enough air to get the fire going and the smoke to "get nice" if I set it at 225?  Do I set it higher and get things moving and then lower the temp?  Do I try to install it after the fire is going and the white smoke is gone?  Help!

Comments

• Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hi, The first couple of times I used my cyberq, I started the fire and put the fan and pit sensor in right away. I noticed that the fan ran like crazy and the fire overshot and then stabilized. The last 2 times I've done a low and slow I have started the fire, added my woo and stone (If you have a plate setter -same thing) and drip pan and let the temp come up without fan or cyber q engaged. Once you reach your desired temp the digi will do the rest. I got that piece of advice on this forum and it was spot on. Good luck.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• jccbone62
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a digiq too and this is one of the questions that I also had.  Thanks for the advice.
    Goatsegg said:
    Hi, The first couple of times I used my cyberq, I started the fire and put the fan and pit sensor in right away. I noticed that the fan ran like crazy and the fire overshot and then stabilized. The last 2 times I've done a low and slow I have started the fire, added my woo and stone (If you have a plate setter -same thing) and drip pan and let the temp come up without fan or cyber q engaged. Once you reach your desired temp the digi will do the rest. I got that piece of advice on this forum and it was spot on. Good luck.

XL owner in Wichita, KS