Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ GURU pros & cons

Im looking for a little input before I drop $350 on a thermometer. Does anyone use a BBQ Guru? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Nothing but pros for me. Peace of mind on low and slows, perfect temp stabilization, and easy to use controls. I don't use for anything under three hours or over 350 degrees to protect the probe wires.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Used my DigiQ for the first time last night on a 16 hr. overnight low and slow.  Kept the pit temp spot on the entire time.  Happy so far....
  • I use a NanoQ and it is pretty dead on. The NanoQ is the most basic unit, I believe.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Works like a champ for me as well. Only con I'd mention is that it doesn't have wireless capabilities.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Love my digiq II.  Peace of mind, holds the temp within a couple of degrees, and easy to set up.  A lot of people like the cyberq for the wifi.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    I have been using one for several years, Love it!!! I just recently received a DigiQ from my son and it seems to be more accurate. Can't live with out it for long slow cooks. I have to start early in the morning and can only cook until sundown because of the bears, I live in Coloardo. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I love my old BBQ Guru that I have had for years. It was made before the fancy wireless controller so it is primitive, but it works for my needs. Since I have become a fan of turbo cooks I no longer risk or need it for the over night 20 hour cooks, BUT what I really appreciate are those times when I am distracted for 3  to 5 hours and really want to have an expert "baby sitter" watching the cook for me. I LOVE IT!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nothing but pros and by the way you don't have to spend $350.00 I got mine from firecraft.com I think I payed like $269.00 compleat kit check them out they are a good company and are a pleasure to do business with 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Don't mean to hijack your thread, but for folks in the Houston area - Bering's has a 20% off sale going on for anything over $50. should include the Guru system. Price would be $280 + tax or thereabouts. I bought my mini the last time they had a similar sale. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PRO - I was able to leave the house to go to my fantasy football draft today for 2.5 hours without any worries.  The guru was watching over the pork butts in the egg.
    Flint, Michigan
  • This thread should be a sticky!  I bough a picnic BBQ guru at first.... it worked GREAT!!!!  after going thru several pork butts, 11-15 lb briskets, ribs, countless LONG burns I decided to get rid of the battery powered GURU.  I bought a DIGI BBQ and never looked back!  I had a hic-cup where I sent in the BBQ WIFI for re-building due to my lack of prep to rain.... they repaired it and its back in service.....

Dont be shy... but the BBQ WIFI device and let your cooks go off without a problem.   Im going to cook 25 lbs of pork butts - bone in this weekend and wont blink how they will turn out!  

Im very satisfied how the BBQ WIFI works...when we put money on the pit and let it cook, the meat turns out great each time!

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• @Fred19Flinstone, you didn't take pulled pork to your draft?  For shame!! haha.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Pro...But spend the extra $'s and get the Cyber Q, you will love the WIFI and also comes with 2 more probs and at $25 each it's like only spending $25 more :)

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• So as you can see above, all PROS and no cons. I love mine!
  • Dfishel said:
    Im looking for a little input before I drop $350 on a thermometer. Does anyone use a BBQ Guru? If so, what are the pros and cons?
    You do realize that it is more than a thermometer, right?  It's main purpose is to control the cooker.  No con's unless you are in the camp that believes you should learn to cook manually first, then go to the automatic mode with a device.  They work just fine.  You might also check out the Stoker since it has a different set of features that may suit your needs.  Whatever you choose, they all work brilliantly.
    The Naked Whiz
  • @Fred19Flinstone, you didn't take pulled pork to your draft?  For shame!! haha.

I asked the other team owners what they wanted and suggested pulled pork. The only response I got was from some joker who wanted steak & lobster. They got football sugar cookies from Wally World.

We had the pulled pork for supper and it was delicious!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Not trying to hijack this thread, but as another option you can try a HeaterMeter. Not sure how technical you are, but I built one this weekend in 3-4 hours. After 2 uses I love it. It's based on a Raspberry Pi, and was a really fun project. It has ports for 4 temp probes (1 Pit, 3 Food), and full wireless capability. I'm not selling them, just a satisfied customer.

• Having just done my first overnight cook this weekend and was thinking that going the Guru route would be ideal.  However, this got me thinking about how these things work.  With my primitive setup, I open and close the vents on the top and bottom to control the heat.  With the Guru, a fan spins to stoke a fire when the temp starts to drop.  However, isn't the vent where the Guru is attached opened all the time to a fixed size?  My bottom vent was closed down pretty far.  How does the Guru prevent the Egg from going over temperature because the vent is open more than it should be?  There is no damper function on these, right?
  • The BBQ Guru blower has an adjustable damper, number one.  Number two, you can close the daisy wheel almost all the way.  You want the blower to be forcing air through the cooker.  So, it really does work just fine.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    atgcpaul said:
    ...However, isn't the vent where the Guru is attached opened all the time to a fixed size?  
    ... How does the Guru prevent the Egg from going over temperature because the vent is open more than it should be?  There is no damper function on these, right?
    Actually there is a sliding "blast gate" which you can close off entirely or partially or leave wide open. Granted when the fan is not running there is air leakage as long as the blast gate is open, but that leakage is minimal at best. I normally set my gate wide open and not worry about it.

As for preventing it from going over temperature you are correct - it can not bring the temp down, but it is smart enough that it seldom gets that way on its own, but instead because the human left the dome open or allowed the temp to get too high before turning the control over to the Guru.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • +1 on getting either the wifi unit, or the party Q.

You can save big $ by going with the portable Party Q to start out. If you already have a Maverick remote monitor then you are in like Flint.

Otherwise, get the Cyber model so you can have remote temp monitoring, remote temp control, and 3 food probes to monitor multiple items.

Remote monitoring becomes a MUST for the piece of mind of being able to see how things are going without leaving the comfort of your LazyBoy

Deferring the gadgets over manual control is way over-rated IMO.
    Gittin' there...
  • I have a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2... It works great for overnight cooks.. You can go to bed and not worry about your end results... 
  • +1 on getting either the wifi unit, or the party Q.

You can save big $ by going with the portable Party Q to start out. If you already have a Maverick remote monitor then you are in like Flint.

Otherwise, get the Cyber model so you can have remote temp monitoring, remote temp control, and 3 food probes to monitor multiple items.

Remote monitoring becomes a MUST for the piece of mind of being able to see how things are going without leaving the comfort of your LazyBoy

Deferring the gadgets over manual control is way over-rated IMO.
    I agree.  Been using the cordless partyQ in combo with wireless thermo and getting great results. KISS
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    all the pros have been addressed.

The only con, is the $. While understand the market for these isn't huge the price-point is about $75 to $100 more then it needs to be. 

all in all, would i purchase my Guru again? oh hell yes! The convenience alone is worth it, but the consistence results is all that is needed in my book.  
  • I have been contemplating getting the DX2 for slow cooks myself. It seems like the going price for this is around 300 form what I see on the net. I guess over time it will pay for itself -- especially for slow cooks.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.