Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib roast yesterday

Finished off the Glenfiddich while the roast cooked. I used a few JD oak chunks from my barrel. I've used these several times and I'm not crazy about the taste. The roast was good but might skip the chunks next time. I figured the oak from the barrel would have a good taste, but...

Never last long enough. Thanks @Aviator for getting me hooked on a drink i can"t afford.

Au Gratin...

Plated...
imageimage

Sammiches tonight
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2013
    quit posting pics from the internet and trying to pass them off as your own cook! :D

Just kidding. Sounds like you had an awesome time working through the Glenfiddich and egging. That last shot is worth a prize. 

Best booze I had this year was Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. Can't afford to make it a habit, but damn that was a terrific bottle.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Looks good, well done!

Like the Au Gratins, best way for spuds with a roast. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great man!  I agree that last pic is a magazine cover.  

FWIW I don't care for the JD chips.  I find they have a really pungent smoke...I prefer just using oak chunks that are not whiskey soaked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks good man.  I don't use any smoke wood on my standing rib roasts.  Detracts from the delicious beef flavor, IMHO.
    I went with Centex... These chunks are from my actual jd barrel... Idk, won't use again. I'm enjoying the camera. Not exactly a vi or hapster.
  • nolaegghead
    Your resolution is a little low.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Pics look good... as does the meal :)

Have fun playing with the new gear!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Your resolution is a little low.

Matches the scotch in the bottle.

• nolaegghead
    new years resolution?  Thou shalt not have any scotch (left over in the bottle).
    I just have the T3i...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

I just have the T3i...

Me too. How are you shooting? Play around with aperture priority to eliminate some variables.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I point the lens and press a button... I'm an idiot with a camera.
  • nolaegghead
    I set up all my SLRs with separate controls for auto focus and metering.  I'll focus the lens in one action (pressing lightly down on the shutter button), then I'll do my metering with another button I programmed on the back - I look for something that has the light that is similar to the subject lighting....you can meter on the ground, or the subject...mostly pay attention to direct light, white and black items and shade.  You don't want to meter on shade or something black if your subject is in direct light, etc.

Shutter, aperture priority - I use these rarely - leave it in programmed and use the toggle to move the shutter speed up and down (with a corresponding change in aperture).   It's just another way of doing it.  If your picture is saturated (over exposed), use the exposure compensation and bump it up or down a notch.  EZ schtuff.  You'll pick it up in no time.

95% of the time, it works every time. 
    Also, spot meter your shots, no evaluative metering. Set-up one autofocus point. Depress the shutter halfway and it will do both of those things for you. I find that much simpler than Nola's method, especially after a few hipster brews. I shoot aperture priority so I only have to mess with depth of field. A lot easier when you have limited time to shoot.
  • nolaegghead
    Also, spot meter your shots, no evaluative metering. Set-up one autofocus point. Depress the shutter halfway and it will do both of those things for you. I find that much simpler than Nola's method, especially after a few hipster brews. I shoot aperture priority so I only have to mess with depth of field. A lot easier when you have limited time to shoot.
    I like those functions separate.....I don't always focus and meter on the same thing.
    Point, take a drink, push a button..
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    YUM!!!  Great looking meal!!!
  • henapple said:
    I point the lens and press a button... I'm an idiot with a camera.
    yeah.........only with a camera. :))

Looked like a good cook to me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Best thing for learning how to shoot; put it in M and leave it there... That said, sometimes I also use A mode as well :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I like those functions separate.....I don't always focus and meter on the same thing.

@nolaegghead, I don't always either, especially shooting in manual which I do the majority of the time. But remember...we are talking about henapple...Beer swilling camera cretin.
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead, I don't always either, especially shooting in manual which I do the majority of the time. But remember...we are talking about henapple...Beer swilling camera cretin.
    Yeah, you right.  I've been shooting since I was 12...so it's been 36 years and it's second nature.  If that cretin ever finds an excuse to visit me here in New Orleans, I'll give him a 2 hour tutorial in photography, with copious quantities of PBR and scotch (well, bourbon is my poison of choice).  Leaned a lot from a buddy of mine that was part of a pulitzer prize winning newspaper during and after Katrina. 

My food pics are hack jobs...always got my drink on that time o day...but I grew up with darkrooms and I'm fully engaged in the technical side.  The artistic side is where it's at.  Keep calm and photograph on.

PS - that's my buddy's pic - Times Picayune photograph post Katrina.  Not mine.